Old 10-10-2008, 03:50 PM
"Mark Quitoriano"

Default mysql 5 for centos 5.2

HI,

Does the mysql in centos compiled with multi processor support? i have
a mysql in centos 5 running in a core2duo processor and it seems that
it only uses 1 processor.

Mark Quitoriano
Blog | http://mark.quitoriano.org
VicidialNOW! | http://www.vicidialnow.com
APUG! | http://asterisk.org.ph

Old 10-10-2008, 04:03 PM
John R Pierce

Mark Quitoriano wrote:

HI,

Does the mysql in centos compiled with multi processor support? i have
a mysql in centos 5 running in a core2duo processor and it seems that
it only uses 1 processor.

how many connections are you making to mysql?

Old 10-10-2008, 04:56 PM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 11:50, Mark Quitoriano <markquitoriano@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does the mysql in centos compiled with multi processor support? i have
> a mysql in centos 5 running in a core2duo processor and it seems that
> it only uses 1 processor.

How many tables are you querying in MySQL?

If you use MyISAM tables (still the default), only one thread can
access a table at a time, so you won't get more performance out of SMP
to accesses to the same table.

HTH,
Filipe

Old 10-14-2008, 02:30 AM
"Mark Quitoriano"

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 12:03 AM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> Mark Quitoriano wrote:
>>
>> HI,
>>
>> Does the mysql in centos compiled with multi processor support? i have
>> a mysql in centos 5 running in a core2duo processor and it seems that
>> it only uses 1 processor.
>>

> how many connections are you making to mysql?

around 50-100 connection

Old 10-14-2008, 03:26 AM
"Mark Quitoriano"

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 12:56 AM, Filipe Brandenburger
<filbranden@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 11:50, Mark Quitoriano <markquitoriano@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Does the mysql in centos compiled with multi processor support? i have
>> a mysql in centos 5 running in a core2duo processor and it seems that
>> it only uses 1 processor.
>
> How many tables are you querying in MySQL?
>
> If you use MyISAM tables (still the default), only one thread can
> access a table at a time, so you won't get more performance out of SMP
> to accesses to the same table.

Hi,

What do you recommend me to do so i can optimize my database on a
multi-core processor? and i haven't got an answer for the mysql
package for centos 5 is the multi-threading supported?

Thanks!

Old 10-14-2008, 04:29 AM
John R Pierce

Mark Quitoriano wrote:

What do you recommend me to do so i can optimize my database on a
multi-core processor? and i haven't got an answer for the mysql
package for centos 5 is the multi-threading supported?

each connection to mysql spawns a thread, however under various
conditions the threads can block each other, including if they are
stacking up on table locks to update the same table.

otherwise, yes, mysql is fully multithreaded, as long as you're making
multiple queries concurrently via different connections

Old 10-15-2008, 01:11 PM
"Mark Quitoriano"

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 12:29 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> Mark Quitoriano wrote:
>>
>> What do you recommend me to do so i can optimize my database on a
>> multi-core processor? and i haven't got an answer for the mysql
>> package for centos 5 is the multi-threading supported?
>>

> each connection to mysql spawns a thread, however under various conditions
> the threads can block each other, including if they are stacking up on table
> locks to update the same table.
>
> otherwise, yes, mysql is fully multithreaded, as long as you're making
> multiple queries concurrently via different connections

oh ok got it. But as i can see that with my database server it only
eats up 1 core of my core2quad processor. how can i optimize mysql to
use all 4 core of my processor?

thanks again for the answers

Old 10-15-2008, 04:54 PM
John R Pierce

Mark Quitoriano wrote:

oh ok got it. But as i can see that with my database server it only
eats up 1 core of my core2quad processor. how can i optimize mysql to
use all 4 core of my processor?

you said you had 50-100 simultaneous connections to mysql? these are
presumably issuing various queries at overlapping times? I find it
pretty hard to believe its only using one processor unless all these
queries are updates to the same table, using full table locking (myISAM
for instance)