Old 10-10-2008, 03:39 PM
"Bo Lynch"

Default Question about Mirrors

On Fri, October 10, 2008 11:39 am, Ned Slider wrote:
> Bo Lynch wrote:
>> I am trying to set up a local repo for my division. I tried to rsync 5.1
>> updates off the mirrors and recieved an error of no file or dir. After
>> going to the mirror, I notice that all of the 5.1 filder is empty and
>> there is a readme there that states.....
>> This directory (and version of CentOS) is depreciated. For normal
>> users,
>> you should use /5/ and not /5.1/ in your path. Please see this FAQ
>> concerning the CentOS release scheme:
>>
>> http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=34
>>
>> If you know what you are doing, and absolutely want to remain at the 5.1
>> level, go to http://vault.centos.org/ for packages.
>>
>> So I just want to make sure that I'm understanding this correct. I
>> should
>> use the 5.1 original RPMS for my base OS and get my updates for 5.1 from
>> the 5 folder???? Just sounds weird. Should I do the same for my 5.0
>> release?
>> Thanks for you help.
>
> You *don't* run 5.0, 5.1 or 5.2, you run 5.
>
> The point releases (5.0, 5.1, 5.2 etc) are simply snapshots in time of
> the CentOS 5 product life cycle where development was temporarily frozen
> just long enough to spin a set of install media.
>
> You should always get updates from 5 which is a link to the current (and
> only supported) release. This happens to currently be 5.2. If you were
> to get updates directly against 5.2 then when 5.3 is released you would
> get no more updates to CentOS 5 ever. This is why you should *never*
> link updates against 5.x and always 5.
>
> Note: 5 and 5.0 are not the same thing.
>
> Hope that helps

Ned,
So you are saying that I should point my yum clients to the 5/updates/i386
folder for updates correct? No matter if they are 5 5.1 5.2? Not trying to
be redundant...Just want to make sure that I'm understanding this correct
before I actually give it a go.
So my pub folder would have centos/5.1/os/i386 which would have the
original 5.1 rpms and I would set the updates repo to point to the
centos/5/updates/i386 right?
So all I really need to rsync is the updates from the 5 folder on the mirror.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Bo Lynch wrote:

> If you know what you are doing, and absolutely want to remain at the 5.1
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> level, go to http://vault.centos.org/ for packages.
>
> So I just want to make sure that I'm understanding this correct. I should
> use the 5.1 original RPMS for my base OS and get my updates for 5.1 from
> the 5 folder???? Just sounds weird. Should I do the same for my 5.0
> release?

No. There aren't any updates for 5.0 and 5.1 anymore. None. Zilch. Nada.
Nothing. Nichts. And you cannot get them from 5/, as those depend on
5/os/.

Ralph

Old 10-10-2008, 03:45 PM
John R Pierce

Bo Lynch wrote:

So I just want to make sure that I'm understanding this correct. I should
use the 5.1 original RPMS for my base OS and get my updates for 5.1 from
the 5 folder???? Just sounds weird. Should I do the same for my 5.0
release?

there's no such thing as '5.1 updates'.

there is centos5, and centos5 updates, and the current quarterly(?)
rollup release of those updates bundled, which is currentyl known as 5.2

any centos 5 release (5, 5,1, 5.2), when you install all pending updates
becomes 5.2 plus whatever updates have been released since 5.2 was
rolled up.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:10 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Bo Lynch <blynch@ameliaschools.com> wrote:
> On Fri, October 10, 2008 11:39 am, Ned Slider wrote:
>> Bo Lynch wrote:

> So my pub folder would have centos/5.1/os/i386 which would have the
> original 5.1 rpms and I would set the updates repo to point to the
> centos/5/updates/i386 right?
> So all I really need to rsync is the updates from the 5 folder on the mirror.

You need to have the original content of 5.2 in 5.2/ and create a symlink:

5 -> 5.2

When 5.3 comes out, get the content in 5.3/ and redirect the symlink:

5 -> 5.3

and so on.

Akemi

Old 10-10-2008, 06:11 PM
"Bo Lynch"

On Fri, October 10, 2008 2:24 pm, Ned Slider wrote:
> Bo Lynch wrote:
>> Ned,
>> So you are saying that I should point my yum clients to the
>> 5/updates/i386
>> folder for updates correct? No matter if they are 5 5.1 5.2? Not trying
>> be redundant...Just want to make sure that I'm understanding this
>> correct
>> before I actually give it a go.
>
> Yes, and see Akemi's earlier reply about symlinks for 5 -> 5.x

Thanks everyone for there input and bringing me up to speed on yum. I
really appreciate it.
Bo Lynch

Old 10-10-2008, 09:10 PM
"Rudi Ahlers"

On 10/10/08, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Bo Lynch <blynch@ameliaschools.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, October 10, 2008 11:39 am, Ned Slider wrote:
> >> Bo Lynch wrote:
>

> > So my pub folder would have centos/5.1/os/i386 which would have the
> > original 5.1 rpms and I would set the updates repo to point to the
> > centos/5/updates/i386 right?
> > So all I really need to rsync is the updates from the 5 folder on the mirror.
>

> You need to have the original content of 5.2 in 5.2/ and create a symlink:
>
> 5 -> 5.2
>
> When 5.3 comes out, get the content in 5.3/ and redirect the symlink:
>
> 5 -> 5.3
>
> and so on.
>

> Akemi

I'm sorry to hi-jack this thread, but tihs is exactly what I've been
looking for myself as well.

How do I actually keep a local repository on the LAN, which can be
used by other hosts with yum & HTTP installations?

I currently use mrepo for this purpose, but it puts everything in
different folders, like so:

http://192.168.10.160/mrepo/centos5-x86_64/RPMS.updates/ - which
doesn't work well with yum updates.

So, if I simply sync an upstream repository to my server, how do I
setup Apache to serve it, with all the correct files & folders?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 10-10-2008, 09:22 PM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 17:10, Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I actually keep a local repository on the LAN, which can be
> used by other hosts with yum & HTTP installations?
> I currently use mrepo for this purpose, but it puts everything in
> different folders, like so:

I was also using mrepo for that, but I gave up because "yum
groupinstall" does not work with it, and I also found it a little
awkward to keep multiple releases (5.1, 5.2) with it, which is
something that I want since I want to upgrade the test machines to 5.2
before I do it on the production environment.

I rolled a script that uses rsync to do that.

See this:

# Instructions on how to mirror CentOS:
# http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=22

# MirrorList:
# http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=13

Basically these are the commands I use:

centos_mirror=rsync.arcticnetwork.ca::centos # closest one to me, you
may want to change this

echo "===> Mirroring CentOS 5.2 (x86_64 and i386)"
rsync -azH --delete "$centos_mirror"/5.2/
/var/www/mirror/centos/5.2/
--include '/*/x86_64/' --include '/*/i386/' --exclude '/*/*/'
-v || error=yes

echo ""
echo "===> Mirroring CentOS 4.7 (x86_64 only, no isos, no cluster suite)"
rsync -azH --delete "$centos_mirror"/4.7/
/var/www/mirror/centos/4.7/
--include '/*/x86_64/' --exclude '/*/*/'
--exclude '/isos/' --exclude '/csgfs/'
-v || error=yes

echo ""
echo "===> Mirroring CentOS GPG keys"
rsync -azH -L "$centos_mirror"/"RPM-GPG-KEY-*"
/var/www/mirror/centos/
-v || error=yes

I tweaked the rsync includes/excludes because I want to have CentOS 5
for both i386 and x86_64, and CentOS 4 for x86_64 only.

Then in yum.conf I comment mirrorlist= and uncomment baseurl= and
replace "mirror.centos.org" with "mirror.mydomain.net". This is the
[base] section of my CentOS-Base.repo:

[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
#mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os
baseurl=http://mirror.mydomain.net/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.mydomain.net/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
priority=1

This is what I have in httpd.conf:

<Directory /var/www/mirror>
Options FollowSymLinks Indexes
AllowOverride None
</Directory>

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName mirror.mydomain.net
DocumentRoot /var/www/mirror
ErrorLog logs/mirror-error_log
CustomLog logs/mirror-access_log combined
</VirtualHost>

And then I manually create the symbolic links from 5 -> 5.2 and 4 ->
4.7. When 5.3 is out, I will manually change the script to mirror it
instead of 5.2 and then change the symbolic link when I'm ready to
upgrade all the servers. It's some work, but it has to be done only
every 6 months, and it gives me the amount of control that I need.

I hope that helps! :-)

Filipe

Old 10-11-2008, 07:34 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Ned Slider wrote:
> Bo Lynch wrote:
>> Ned,
>> So you are saying that I should point my yum clients to the 5/updates/i386
>> folder for updates correct? No matter if they are 5 5.1 5.2? Not trying to
>> be redundant...Just want to make sure that I'm understanding this correct
>> before I actually give it a go.
>
> Yes, and see Akemi's earlier reply about symlinks for 5 -> 5.x

Not yes, but no. Updates is always rebased to the latest point release, so you
cannot point 5.1 clients to 5.2 updates.

CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org