Old 10-11-2008, 10:31 AM
"Akemi Yagi"

Default Question about Mirrors

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 12:34 AM, Ralph Angenendt
<ra+centos@br-online.de> wrote:
> Ned Slider wrote:
>> Bo Lynch wrote:
>>> Ned,
>>> So you are saying that I should point my yum clients to the 5/updates/i386
>>> folder for updates correct? No matter if they are 5 5.1 5.2? Not trying to
>>> be redundant...Just want to make sure that I'm understanding this correct
>>> before I actually give it a go.
>>
>> Yes, and see Akemi's earlier reply about symlinks for 5 -> 5.x
>
> Not yes, but no. Updates is always rebased to the latest point release, so you
> cannot point 5.1 clients to 5.2 updates.

I think Ned's response is correct. It is "Yes" if the OP sees
"Akemi's reply". In other words, yum repo has the 5 -> 5.x symlink
and under 5.x there are both "os" and "updates". Clients are supposed
to point to "5" regardless of whether they are 5 or 5.1 or 5.2.

Akemi

Old 10-12-2008, 11:17 AM
"Rudi Ahlers"

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 11:22 PM, Filipe Brandenburger
<filbranden@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> different folders, like so:
>
> I was also using mrepo for that, but I gave up because "yum
> groupinstall" does not work with it, and I also found it a little
> awkward to keep multiple releases (5.1, 5.2) with it, which is
> something that I want since I want to upgrade the test machines to 5.2
> before I do it on the production environment.
>
> I rolled a script that uses rsync to do that.
>
> See this:
>
> # Instructions on how to mirror CentOS:
> # http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=22
>
> # MirrorList:
> # http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=13
>
> Basically these are the commands I use:
>
> centos_mirror=rsync.arcticnetwork.ca::centos # closest one to me, you
> may want to change this
>
> echo "===> Mirroring CentOS 5.2 (x86_64 and i386)"
> rsync -azH --delete "$centos_mirror"/5.2/
> /var/www/mirror/centos/5.2/
> --include '/*/x86_64/' --include '/*/i386/' --exclude '/*/*/'
> -v || error=yes
>

> echo ""
> echo "===> Mirroring CentOS 4.7 (x86_64 only, no isos, no cluster suite)"
> rsync -azH --delete "$centos_mirror"/4.7/
> /var/www/mirror/centos/4.7/
> --include '/*/x86_64/' --exclude '/*/*/'
> --exclude '/isos/' --exclude '/csgfs/'
> -v || error=yes
>
> echo ""
> echo "===> Mirroring CentOS GPG keys"
> rsync -azH -L "$centos_mirror"/"RPM-GPG-KEY-*"
> /var/www/mirror/centos/
> -v || error=yes
>

> I tweaked the rsync includes/excludes because I want to have CentOS 5
> for both i386 and x86_64, and CentOS 4 for x86_64 only.
>
> Then in yum.conf I comment mirrorlist= and uncomment baseurl= and
> replace "mirror.centos.org" with "mirror.mydomain.net". This is the
> [base] section of my CentOS-Base.repo:
>
> [base]
> name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
> #mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os
> baseurl=http://mirror.mydomain.net/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=http://mirror.mydomain.net/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
> priority=1
>

> This is what I have in httpd.conf:
>
> <Directory /var/www/mirror>
> Options FollowSymLinks Indexes
> AllowOverride None
> </Directory>
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ServerName mirror.mydomain.net
> DocumentRoot /var/www/mirror
> ErrorLog logs/mirror-error_log
> CustomLog logs/mirror-access_log combined
> </VirtualHost>
>

> And then I manually create the symbolic links from 5 -> 5.2 and 4 ->
> 4.7. When 5.3 is out, I will manually change the script to mirror it
> instead of 5.2 and then change the symbolic link when I'm ready to
> upgrade all the servers. It's some work, but it has to be done only
> every 6 months, and it gives me the amount of control that I need.

Ok, just to understand this better.

This is a script that you run via a crontab, right?

And you simply save all the files in /var/www/mirror - right? I
suppose I could just change the entry in httpd.conf to use
/data/mirror/ instead, and then rsync everything to
/data/mirror/centos/5/x86_64/5 - which is then a symlink to
/data/mirror/centos/5.2/x86_64/

How can I exclude the graphics stuff like X, KDE, Gnome, etc?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 10-13-2008, 12:01 AM
"Bo Lynch"

On Sat, October 11, 2008 3:34 am, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Ned Slider wrote:
>> Bo Lynch wrote:
>>> Ned,
>>> So you are saying that I should point my yum clients to the
>>> 5/updates/i386
>>> folder for updates correct? No matter if they are 5 5.1 5.2? Not trying
>>> be redundant...Just want to make sure that I'm understanding this
>>> correct
>>> before I actually give it a go.
>>
>> Yes, and see Akemi's earlier reply about symlinks for 5 -> 5.x
>
> Not yes, but no. Updates is always rebased to the latest point release, so
> you
> cannot point 5.1 clients to 5.2 updates.
>
> Ralph_____________________________________________ __
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org

Ralph,
So if I have a 5.1 client then where should I point yum to look for updates?

Old 10-13-2008, 02:02 AM
John R Pierce

Bo Lynch wrote:

So if I have a 5.1 client then where should I point yum to look for updates?

http://mirror.centos.org/centos-5/5/ (or any copy of this) is where it
should go, and it will figure it all out based on the lists at
http://mirror.centos.org/centos-5/5/updates/${arch}/repodata/

Old 10-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Bo Lynch wrote:
> Ralph,
> So if I have a 5.1 client then where should I point yum to look for updates?

You point base *and* updates to

http://mirror.example.com/centos/$releasever/{os,updates}/$basearch

That way you'll go to 5.2 with the next "yum update".

Remember: There is *NO* 5.0 anymore, there is *NO* 5.1 anymore, it is
CentOS5 with the current set being at point release 5.2. And then 5.3,
5.4, 5.5 - it is all CentOS 5.

Ralph