Old 10-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Default Unexpected FTP Activity

Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:06, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED
> <m_d_berger_1900@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Since I put my new Centos box on the net, it frequently
> > tr1es to make ftp contact with IP address 64.90.181.77 .
>
> This is a CentOS repository mirror:
> http://mirror.nyi.net/centos/
>
> Your box is connecting to that site to get security updates. If it's
> doing that without you knowing, it's probably because yum is
> configured to do that automatically in cron.

Or it's yum-updatesd in action.

Ralph

Old 10-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Franklin S Weren

Its a Data Center in NY City... I bet yum update is there...
http://www.nyi.net/

Frank

Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

Since I put my new Centos box on the net, it frequently
tr1es to make ftp contact with IP address 64.90.181.77 .

Why is this, and does anyone recognize this IP address?
Is it spyware?

Mike.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 17:03:41 +0200, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

[...]
> Or it's yum-updatesd in action.
>
> Ralph
[...]

It looks like this is it; I shut it down.
I don't remember being offered a choice about
this on install; maybe I didn't recognize it.
I would think it should be made obvious.

Is there any other automatic Internet activity
in Centos?

Thanks,
Mike.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:25 PM