Old 10-10-2008, 02:32 PM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

Default Installing a new VM on a xen box. (Intel DQ35JO MB)

Hello,

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:08, James B. Byrne <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
> Now, I have a test system that fully supports Intel VT technology and
> full-virtualization under Xen. However, having crossed that bridge I am
> now looking at whether KVM is where I should expend my limited time if, as
> it seems, that is where CentOS is heading.
>
> Opinions?

KVM will most certainly not be available and stable enough before
RHEL6 and CentOS6. (Yes, I know you can get it from some repositories
and make it work, but it seems to me that it's not perfect yet.)

Xen works right now and it does the job OK. The reasons why RH is
moving out of it is not because it doesn't work, but it's because it's
hard to upgrade the kernel with Xen supports. KVM is maintained by the
kernel developers, so it has a much better chance to work well with
newer kernels. The same is not true with Xen (at least right now.)

When RHEL6 and CentOS6 are out, if they support KVM as the preferred
virtualization method, there will certainly be a good migration path
from RHEL5+Xen to RHEL6+KVM (and the same for CentOS.)

So, in my opinion, you should stick with Xen right now and just worry
about the migration to KVM when it's available, stable and supported.
That's what I'm doing.

HTH,
Filipe