Old 10-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Marko Vojinovic

Default Atheros AR5212/AR5213 wifi not working

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the CentOS list, so forgive me if this has been answered before (someone please point me to an efficient way of searching through the list archives).

I have a wifi card from the subject line, and have the driver installed. Using NetworkManager under Gnome everything works perfectly. However, I prefer to use network service instead of NetworkManager since
a) I use KDE and NetworkManager fails to work properly there
b) this is a desktop machine, online 24/7 and I want wireless active even when I am not logged in.

But when I use the network service, wifi0 fails after a delay, and /var/log/messages says there are no dhcp offers available. However, I am sure that there are several wireless networks available, with a strong signal.

How to solve this? I would even accept using NM if it works as a daemon, ie even if I'm not logged in, and under KDE (which it doesn't atm).

I believe the problem is essentially in the (in)ability to choose the appropriate network automatically --- in KDE NM doesn't have the taskbar applet which would let me choose the network, and the network service has no way of automatically making such a choice either...

Please help! Btw, this is somewhat urgent, I am supposed to make it work by monday, Oct. 13.

Oh, I almost forgot, CentOS 5.2, fully updated.

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 10-10-2008, 04:30 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 5:38 AM, Marko Vojinovic
<markovojinovic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I believe the problem is essentially in the (in)ability to choose the appropriate network automatically --- in KDE NM doesn't have the taskbar applet which would let me choose the network, and the network service has no way of automatically making such a choice either...

In KDE, run this as you (not root):

nm-applet &

This is run by default in gnome.

Akemi

Old 10-10-2008, 05:13 PM
MHR

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 5:38 AM, Marko Vojinovic
<markovojinovic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm new to the CentOS list, so forgive me if this has been answered before (someone please point me to an efficient way of searching through the list archives).

tag line at the bottom of every email on this list) and use the search
window in the upper left hand corner.

And, please, post in plain text, not HTML.

HTH.

mhr

Old 10-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Marko Vojinovic

--- On Fri, 10/10/08, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm new to the CentOS list, so forgive me if this
> has been answered before (someone please point me to an
> efficient way of searching through the list archives).

> (it's in the
> tag line at the bottom of every email on this list) and use
> the search
> window in the upper left hand corner.

Thanks! :-)

> And, please, post in plain text, not HTML.

Ooops, I thought that I had set my account to be plain-text. Now that I check it again, it actually *is* set for plain text. If this message also turns out to be html, then Yahoo doesn't want to listen to me... Sorry.

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 10-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Marko Vojinovic

--- On Fri, 10/10/08, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I believe the problem is essentially in the
> (in)ability to choose the appropriate network automatically
> --- in KDE NM doesn't have the taskbar applet which
> would let me choose the network, and the network service has
> no way of automatically making such a choice either...
>
> In KDE, run this as you (not root):
>
> nm-applet &
>
> This is run by default in gnome.

Ok, thanks! This seems to work, I put it in autostart folder for kde.

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 10-11-2008, 01:09 AM
Mark Pryor

Marko,

> I'm new to the CentOS list, so forgive me if this has
> been answered before (someone please point me to an
> efficient way of searching through the list archives).
>
> I have a wifi card from the subject line, and have the
> driver installed. Using NetworkManager under Gnome
> everything works perfectly. However, I prefer to use network
> service instead of NetworkManager since
> a) I use KDE and NetworkManager fails to work properly
> there

> I believe the problem is essentially in the (in)ability to
> choose the appropriate network automatically --- in KDE NM
> doesn't have the taskbar applet which would let me
> choose the network, and the network service has no way of
> automatically making such a choice either...

You can use the kNetworkManager applet in C5.2 too, but you have to
build it from SRPM. I use it on my notebook.

DIY or use my version from my repo
http://www.tlviewer.org/centos

--
Mark