Old 12-11-2007, 07:02 PM
"Michael A. Peters"

Default LOTD with CentOS 5

Howdy folks -

I just moved my laptop from Fedora to CentOS. FC6 was running rather
sweet, then they decided to EOL it, and F8 - while it had some nice new
features, it was just way to quirky for me. I no longer enjoy
re-installing the OS quite so often, hence my move to CentOS.

So I installed CentOS 5 on my laptop, and built a bunch of packages,
making "yet another" repo for CentOS.

These are primarily straight rebuilds (in mock) of Fedora 8 source rpm's
- taking care to avoid anything that conflicts with or replaces CentOS
packages.

I know there are a dozen or so addon repos already - and if you are
happy with them, stick with them.

My goal was to stay as close to Fedora 8 packaging for these addon
packages as possible, benefiting from their packaging guidelines, and
also to not replace the stable very well tested CentOS packages.

[yjl-misc] does not replace any CentOS packages and has stuff from F8
everything like AbiWord, Gnumeric, Bluefish, BitTorrent, etc. as well as
some multimedia related libraries.

[yjl-livna] has rebuilds of stuff from rpm.livna.org - mostly multimedia
related, including xine and totem-xine. Depends on [yjl-misc].

[yjl-php] has php 5.2.5 and does replace the CentOS php, it should
probably only be used if something you are doing requires php 5.2.x.

For those interested:
http://www.pennywasted.info/centos/yjl.php