Old 10-09-2008, 08:40 PM
MHR

Default Firefox3 for CentOS4 -- dependency on evolution28 packages?

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 11:41 AM, Bart Schaefer
<barton.schaefer@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd been putting off installing the FX3 packages because of some
> extensions I use that don't have upgrades.[*] However, when FX1.5
> crashed on me today I decided to finally go ahead. Fired up yum and
> I'm told I have to install a slew of evolution28 library packages in
> order to install the firefox package. Why? I removed evolution from
> my system for a reason, and I'd just as soon it stays gone.
>
>[*] Additional off-topic rant: Why was the API access to form history
> removed from Firefox? Why must I throw away my entire history to get
> rid of a few typographical errors to reduce the number of bogus field
> completion choices I'm offered?

You probably ought to ask these questions on a Mozilla discussion list
or report it as a bug to bugzilla.mozilla.org.

mhr

Old 10-10-2008, 01:13 AM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd been putting off installing the FX3 packages because of some
> extensions I use that don't have upgrades.[*] However, when FX1.5
> crashed on me today I decided to finally go ahead. Fired up yum and
> I'm told I have to install a slew of evolution28 library packages in
> order to install the firefox package. Why? I removed evolution from
> my system for a reason, and I'd just as soon it stays gone.

Bart: What version of CentOS are you running on that box? Are you
using GNOME? There may be a connection between Evolution and GNOME. I
stopped using Evolution, when I moved to Thunderbird recently, but I
still have it installed. When you do get Firefox 3 running properly,
you will not miss 1.5.... Lanny

Old 10-10-2008, 02:58 AM
"Bart Schaefer"

> Bart: What version of CentOS are you running on that box?

CentOS 4.7.

> Are you using GNOME?

Yes. It appears that all the evolution28-* packages on which there is
a dependency are related to the rendering engine (-pango, -atk, -gtk,
etc.) so I did go ahead and install it anyway.

Moments later it crashed when I tried to look at cnn.com, and I
removed it and installed 1.5.0.12 again.

> When you do get Firefox 3 running properly, you will not miss 1.5....

Ah, if only. I've got FX3 on a Ubuntu laptop for work and a CentOS 5
laptop at home, and more than half the time I'd still rather be
running 1.5 both places. FlashBlock regularly crashes FX3 on any OS
that doesn't have the most edgy of bleeding GTKs (the probable reason
cnn.com killed it), and the new gmail gets "error 700" indigestion in
FX3 when trying to read messages from several mailing lists I'm on
(fortunately not this one).

Old 10-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Ralph Angenendt

William Warren wrote:
> instead of flashblock use adblockplus. It's updated for FF3. Plus ff
> 1.5 is EOL and has security problems.

I'd add NoScript into that mix (replaces flashblock completely), as that
has code for stopping ugly bugs.

Ralph