Old 10-09-2008, 08:18 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default More Samba Questions

I have never setup a Samba server, and the recent thread here prompted to
get on this I need to migrate two XP machines from using iSCSI to Samba.

I thought the "+" preceding a username in the smb.conf file for a
share definition told Samba to use the unix username? Unless I actually
use swat to create and enable the user and take off the + it doesn't work.

Any ideas what swat does when you create a user through that interface?

Is there any way to simply force Samba to use locally created users in the
share definition?

Thanks!
jlc

Old 10-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Bill Campbell

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>I have never setup a Samba server, and the recent thread here prompted to
>get on this I need to migrate two XP machines from using iSCSI to Samba.
>
>I thought the "+" preceding a username in the smb.conf file for a
>share definition told Samba to use the unix username? Unless I actually
>use swat to create and enable the user and take off the + it doesn't work.

Why would you put user names in the smb.conf file?

Use encrypted passwords, then using the smbpasswd command to
create entries in the smb.passwd file.

smbpasswd -a username

The -a option tells smbpasswd that the user is in the system
/etc/passwd file. You will still need to type the password.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun. -- Buckminster Fuller

Old 10-09-2008, 08:24 PM
John R Pierce

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

I have never setup a Samba server, and the recent thread here prompted to
get on this I need to migrate two XP machines from using iSCSI to Samba.

I thought the "+" preceding a username in the smb.conf file for a
share definition told Samba to use the unix username? Unless I actually
use swat to create and enable the user and take off the + it doesn't work.

Any ideas what swat does when you create a user through that interface?

Is there any way to simply force Samba to use locally created users in the
share definition?

I've always had to use

smbpasswd -a unixusername

then give them a password for smb use... the catch-22 is that SMB uses
a completely different password hash algorithm than Unix/Linux
/etc/passwd(shadow) passwords, so you can't use the one for the other.

Its much much easier if you use a central authentication database like
LDAP (or if its already in use at the site, Active Directory).