Old 10-09-2008, 01:47 PM
"James B. Byrne"

Default Installing a new VM on a xen box.

HW = HPQ DC7700 DuoCore 1.8GHz, 4 x 2GB RAM, 1 x 1TB SATA (AHCI)
OS = CentOS-5.2 ix_64 (xen)

I am experimenting with Xen and with virtual machines in general for the
first time. In consequence I have many questions. However, the one that
I wish answered at the moment is simple:

Given a DVD containing the CentOS-5.2_Final (i386) distribution mounted at
/media/CentOS_5.2_Final on Dom0, what argument do I pass to the "Install
Media URL" argument of the "Create a new virtual system" wizard" to
install the 32 bit version of CentOS-5.2 onto a vm called test-1?

I have tried things like:

/media/CentOS_5.2_Final
/media/CentOS_5.2_Final/images
/media/CentOS_5.2_Final/images/diskboot.img
etc.

All attempts produce the same negative result. What URL is used to load
the 32 bit OS from the dvd?

I am a digest subscriber so the favour of a direct copy of any reply to
the list is appreciated.

*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241
Hamilton, Ontario fax: +1 905 561 0757
Canada L8E 3C3

Old 10-09-2008, 02:31 PM
"James B. Byrne"

On Thu, October 9, 2008 09:47, James B. Byrne wrote:
> HW = HPQ DC7700 DuoCore 1.8GHz, 4 x 2GB RAM, 1 x 1TB SATA (AHCI)
> OS = CentOS-5.2 ix_64 (xen)
>
> I am experimenting with Xen and with virtual machines in general for the
> first time. In consequence I have many questions. However, the one that
> I wish answered at the moment is simple:
>
> Given a DVD containing the CentOS-5.2_Final (i386) distribution mounted at
> /media/CentOS_5.2_Final on Dom0, what argument do I pass to the "Install
> Media URL" argument of the "Create a new virtual system" wizard" to
> install the 32 bit version of CentOS-5.2 onto a vm called test-1?

Well, apparently you cannot do this at all for a paravitualized guest OS.
One is required to build an installation tree for the guest OS on the host
dom0 and then use ftp or some similar protocol to access it, which
requires configuring vsftpd or apache. And I also read that xen is now
out of favour with RedHat and that KVM, which does not apparently support
paravirtualization is the new kid on the block. Does this mean that I
sould not bother with investigating xen?

In the meantime, since the link given in the VMM GUI help file for the
example installation tree is defunct can some kind soul point me to a
resource that describes how to build sucha thing from a CentOS-5.2 distro
dvd?

Old 10-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Kai Schaetzl

James B. Byrne wrote on Thu, 9 Oct 2008 10:31:09 -0400 (EDT):

> In the meantime, since the link given in the VMM GUI help file for the
> example installation tree is defunct can some kind soul point me to a
> resource that describes how to build sucha thing from a CentOS-5.2 distro
> dvd?

You can just mount the DVD in the ftp server, you don't need to change
anything. The directory with the Release-Notes is your installation root.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 10-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Kai Schaetzl

James B. Byrne wrote on Thu, 9 Oct 2008 09:47:13 -0400 (EDT):

> Given a DVD containing the CentOS-5.2_Final (i386) distribution mounted at
> /media/CentOS_5.2_Final on Dom0, what argument do I pass to the "Install
> Media URL" argument of the "Create a new virtual system" wizard" to
> install the 32 bit version of CentOS-5.2 onto a vm called test-1?

Is that what you mean the Virtual Machine Manager?

> /media/CentOS_5.2_Final

> All attempts produce the same negative result. What URL is used to load
> the 32 bit OS from the dvd?

You need a *URL*, that is not a URL! You can either use http or ftp. nfs may
work as well, don't know.

There's a centos-virt list and there's a lot on virtualization on the wiki.
Not sure if it would help you here, but it's worth reading!

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 10-09-2008, 04:09 PM
"James B. Byrne"

On Thu, October 9, 2008 10:31, James B. Byrne wrote:

> In the meantime, since the link given in the VMM GUI help file for the
> example installation tree is defunct can some kind soul point me to a
> resource that describes how to build sucha thing from a CentOS-5.2 distro
> dvd?

From:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Installation Guide
28.9. Making the Installation Tree Available

The kickstart installation must access an installation tree. An
installation tree is a copy of the binary Red Hat Enterprise Linux CD-ROMs
with the same directory structure.

So:
# cd /path/to/vm/os/install_tree
# cp -pr /media/CentOS_5.2_Final ./

Thereafter the Install Media URL becomes:
/path/to/vm/os/install_tree/CentOS_5.2_Final

Old 10-09-2008, 04:27 PM
"James B. Byrne"

On Thu, October 9, 2008 12:09, James B. Byrne wrote:

> So:
> # cd /path/to/vm/os/install_tree
> # cp -pr /media/CentOS_5.2_Final ./
>
> Thereafter the Install Media URL becomes:
> /path/to/vm/os/install_tree/CentOS_5.2_Final

Well, RH implementation of xen appears far less useful from an
experimentation standpoint than I expected. From the Virtualization
Guide:

With Red Hat Virtualization, 32-bit hosts runs only 32-bit paravirtual
guests. 64-bit hosts runs only 64-bit paravirtual guests. And a 64-bit
full virtualization host runs 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, or 64-bit guests. A
32-bit full virtualization host runs both PAE and non-PAE full
virtualization guests.

So, on my test machine that supports only paravirtualization I can only
run 64 bit versions of a supported paravirtualized guest OS. This limits
me to essentially CentOS-4 and CentOS-5 ix_64. I was hoping to be able to
run CentOS-5.2 i386 as a guest as there is no 64 bit Sun JRE that allows
Firefox to run Java applets.

Oh well, this was just a trial to see what was involved with virtualization.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:31 PM
"nate"

James B. Byrne wrote:

> So, on my test machine that supports only paravirtualization I can only
> run 64 bit versions of a supported paravirtualized guest OS. This limits
> me to essentially CentOS-4 and CentOS-5 ix_64. I was hoping to be able to
> run CentOS-5.2 i386 as a guest as there is no 64 bit Sun JRE that allows
> Firefox to run Java applets.

Why not run it in fully virtualized mode instead of paravirtualized?
Does your CPU lack the instruction set needed for full virtualization
under Xen? I've never used Xen myself, followed it off and on and
at least for me it's never looked interesting enough to pull me away
from vmware. Now it looks like Red hat has woken up and seen it is
a dead end too and is moving to KVM as you mentioned.

nate

Old 10-09-2008, 05:19 PM
sbeam

On Thursday 09 October 2008 12:31, nate wrote:
> Now it looks like Red hat has woken up and seen it is
> a dead end too and is moving to KVM as you mentioned.

where did you read this? I have just started with xen too but I don't want to
be left hanging...

Old 10-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Scott Silva

on 10-9-2008 10:19 AM sbeam spake the following:
> On Thursday 09 October 2008 12:31, nate wrote:
>> Now it looks like Red hat has woken up and seen it is
>> a dead end too and is moving to KVM as you mentioned.
>
> where did you read this? I have just started with xen too but I don't want to
> be left hanging...
RedHat is moving to KVM because they bought it.

http://www.redhat.com/about/news/prarchive/2008/qumranet.html

Why give cash to a competitor if you can keep it in-house?

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 10-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

James B. Byrne wrote on Thu, 9 Oct 2008 12:27:15 -0400 (EDT):

> Oh well, this was just a trial to see what was involved with virtualization.

James, stop talking to yourself ;-) It's good to look at stock documentation,
but it's not enough. Search this list archive for "xen" and have a look at the
archives of centos-virt. You *can* run 32bit PV guests in 64bit CentOS. But
you need Xen 3.2 for stability. You will find information about that and some
necessary patches when you do the archive lookups I suggested.

Xen is really easy and reliably to use on CentOS once you know a bit about it.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany