Old 01-01-1970, 01:00 AM
Kenneth Price

Default What is the best network monitoring tool?

>i'm looking for something that is agent-less and not java ( i want to
>keep it relatively light weight). anything else out there?

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, so I apologize for repeating any other suggestions, but have you looked at:

1) Cacti (http://www.cacti.net/)
2) Centreon (http://www.centreon.com/)

Cacti has plenty of 3rd party plugins if you want, or just use SNMP in it's default form. And Centreon, like Nagios, doesn't require you to use agents if you don't want.

Regards,
Kenneth Price

Old 10-09-2008, 02:01 AM
Alejandro

Hi all,

Currently I have a big question.

What is the best OPEN SOURCE solution for monitoring multiple Host and Services, for example for using in a WebHosting Provider with 50 hosts or more.

Currently, I'm using NAGIOS for more than 3 years, this is a incredible tool, but before upgrade to version 3, I have this existential question.

Please fill free to recommend any soft, but with this option in mind.

*1- Easy option to personalize any plug-in
*2- Good Documentation
*3- Support large platforms
*4- Run over Linux

Sorry for me English
Regards
Alejandro
www.linuxiso.com.ar

from Buenos Aires, Argentina

Old 10-09-2008, 02:58 AM
"nate"

Alejandro wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Currently I have a big question.
>
> What is the best OPEN SOURCE solution for monitoring multiple Host and
> Services, for example for using in a WebHosting Provider with 50 hosts or
> more.

What exactly are you interested in monitoring? Different
tools have different uses. If your used to nagios and your
environment isn't that big perhaps you should take a peek
at groundworks -

http://www.groundworkopensource.com/community/community-edition.html

I use a combination of nagios and cacti, nagios for event based
monitoring and cacti for performance monitoring/trending. My
cacti is *heavily* customized the result of hundreds of hours
of work and monitors roughly 11 million data points a day. Nagios
monitors about half a million.

But depending on what exactly your monitoring will depend on
what tool is best. e.g. how complex of monitors are you needing.
Do you just need PING and basic HTTP checks or are you looking
into more complex application level monitoring?

nate

Old 10-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Alejandro

Nate,

Thanks for your response.

Currently I have a lot of services to monitoring for example:

Databases : Oracle - Mysql - MSSql
WebServers: SunWebServer - SunJavaAppServer - Apache

Systems: Windows - Linux
Networking: Cisco Switch - Lan Interfaces

Currently I look these projects: Groundwork and Centreon (http://www.centreon.com/), this two tools based in Nagios, but with statistical tools

And other excellent tool is JFFNMS (http://www.jffnms.org/)

Regards,
Alejandro

Old 10-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Rainer Duffner

Alejandro schrieb:
> Nate,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> Currently I have a lot of services to monitoring for example:
>
> Databases : Oracle - Mysql - MSSql
> WebServers: SunWebServer - SunJavaAppServer - Apache
> Systems: Windows - Linux
> Networking: Cisco Switch - Lan Interfaces
>
> Currently I look these projects: Groundwork and Centreon
> (http://www.centreon.com/), this two tools based in Nagios, but with
> statistical tools
>
> And other excellent tool is JFFNMS (http://www.jffnms.org/)

I installed JFFNMS - and I hated it right from the start - the interface
was barely usable even with 1920x1200.

Check out www.zabbix.com
It needs an agent, but with the agent, a lot of stuff is autodetected
(drives etc - in Nagios, you've got to do a lot of manual work).
I still like Nagios for its flexibility, though.

Rainer

Old 10-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Les Mikesell

Don't forget OpenNMS - http://www.opennms.org.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 10-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Thomas Bleier

Les Mikesell wrote:

Alejandro wrote:

Nate,

Thanks for your response.

Currently I have a lot of services to monitoring for example:

Databases : Oracle - Mysql - MSSql
WebServers: SunWebServer - SunJavaAppServer - Apache
Systems: Windows - Linux
Networking: Cisco Switch - Lan Interfaces

Currently I look these projects: Groundwork and Centreon
(http://www.centreon.com/), this two tools based in Nagios, but with
statistical tools

And other excellent tool is JFFNMS (http://www.jffnms.org/)

Don't forget OpenNMS - http://www.opennms.org.

Hi,

I also use Nagios for monitoring events, and I'm quite happy with it,
but I'm looking for a complementary tool for performance/trend
monitoring, since I'm not very happy with the Nagios Addons like
NagiosGrapher, PNP and the like (limited functionality, high
installation effort).

I've also taken a look at Cacti, but it seems not very mature yet and
integration into Nagios is also rather tedious if you don't want two
separate solutions doing things twice.

Recently I stumbled over Munin (http://sourceforge.net/projects/munin/),
which looks interesting, but I didn't have the time to take a look at it
yet.

Anybody using Nagios and Munin together and want's to share some
experience? :-)

best regards,
__
/homas

Old 10-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Alejandro

Hi,

For this same reason I look in centreon, is a nagios backend with a
excelent integration with performace graphics all in one unique system

Regards
www.linuxiso.com.ar

Old 10-13-2008, 04:39 PM
"Ivan Levchenko"

Has anybody tried zenoss? is it worth working with?

i'm looking for something that is agent-less and not java ( i want to
keep it relatively light weight). anything else out there?
--

Best Regards,

Ivan Levchenko
levchenko.i@gmail.com

Old 10-13-2008, 05:48 PM
"Ivan Levchenko"

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 8:12 PM, Kenneth Price <kprice@nowyouknow.net> wrote:

>>i'm looking for something that is agent-less and not java ( i want to
>>keep it relatively light weight). anything else out there?
>
> I haven't been keeping up with this thread, so I apologize for repeating any other suggestions, but have you looked at:
>
> 1) Cacti (http://www.cacti.net/)
> 2) Centreon (http://www.centreon.com/)
>
> Cacti has plenty of 3rd party plugins if you want, or just use SNMP in it's default form. And Centreon, like Nagios, doesn't require you to use agents if you don't want.
>
> Regards,
> Kenneth Price

I'm already using cacti, but its not very usable, especially the
notifications (or lack of them) and either i didn't find a way, or
cacti cannot monitor services (http, smtp, others....)

--

Best Regards,

Ivan Levchenko
levchenko.i@gmail.com