Old 10-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Ian Forde

Default rpmforge, perl-dbd-mysql, yum, priorities, centos, and you

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 10:40 -0700, Joe Pruett wrote:
> rpmforge has just released a new perl-DBD-mysql for el4 that has an
> obsoletes against perl-DBD-MySQL and the protectbase yum plugin doesn't
> grok obsoletes. the priorities plugin does. so if you are having issues
> with this, install the yum-plugin-priorities first, make sure that the
> CentOS-Base repo is priority 1 and the rpmforge repo is priority 2 or
> higher (99 is the default).
>
> also, i'd like to suggest that the priorities plugin be made added to the
> base install and that the centos-base repos be configured with priority 1.
> it looks like c4 has the priority setting, but c5 doesn't and neither have
> the plugin installed. it seems like this would create a little more
> stable setup for people when they start adding other repos.

Anything like this would probably have to be an upstream thing. But it
would probably be a good idea for people to put this into their
kickstart configs...

-I

Old 10-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Ian Forde

Old 10-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Joe Pruett wrote on Wed, 8 Oct 2008 10:48:48 -0700 (PDT):

> i forgot to add to my suggestion: make the check_obsoletes option in
> yum-priorities be enabled by default for c5 as it is in c4.

There's also an obsoletes option in yum.conf. That option you are talking
about is for priorities.conf and would stop that rpmforge package
obsoleting and replacing the base package?
I just checked with my default settings (without a check_obsoletes option
in priorities.conf, but with check_obsoletes=1 in yum.conf) and the update
output showed it would be going to update the base package. Unfortunately,
I hit accidently y the second time I ran it ;-)
So, with check_obsoletes = 1 I assume it wouldn't have done that?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany