Old 10-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Spike Turner

Default Apache Charset vs html file charset

The apache httpd.conf has AddDefaultCharset UTF-8 while
the page I'm viewing on my CentOS server is charset=ISO-8859-1
The page appears funny on the browser showing ��

Given that apache has the default charset shouldn't it honor it?
Why the �� characters?

Spike.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Spike Turner wrote on Wed, 8 Oct 2008 14:06:37 -0700 (PDT):

> Given that apache has the default charset shouldn't it honor it?

Because that page is served with UTF-8 by Apache. What you want to do is
comment that line in the Apache config out. It's a really stupid setting,
not really understandable why they put it in the default config.

Kai

--
Kai Schtzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 10-09-2008, 06:00 AM
Spike Turner

Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> Because that page is served with UTF-8 by Apache. What you
> want to do is
> comment that line in the Apache config out. It's a
> really stupid setting,
> not really understandable why they put it in the default
> config.

The apache docs state that it does no harm and there are some
security reasons for having a default

# Specify a default charset for all pages sent out. This is
# always a good idea and opens the door for future internationalisation
# of your web site, should you ever want it. Specifying it as
# a default does little harm; as the standard dictates that a page
# is in iso-8859-1 (latin1) unless specified otherwise i.e. you
# are merely stating the obvious. There are also some security
# reasons in browsers, related to javascript and URL parsing
# which encourage you to always set a default char set.
#

Spike.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Spike Turner wrote on Wed, 8 Oct 2008 23:00:54 -0700 (PDT):

> The apache docs state that it does no harm

well, that's wrong. Change alle your pages to be UTF-8 or remove it.

Kai

--
Kai Schtzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 10-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Spike Turner wrote on Wed, 8 Oct 2008 23:00:54 -0700 (PDT):
>
> > The apache docs state that it does no harm
>
> well, that's wrong. Change alle your pages to be UTF-8 or remove it.

Yepp. Most charset problems I've found within apache came from that
setting.

<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/en/mod/core.html#adddefaultcharset>
says that it can do harm.

Ralph

Old 10-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Kai Schaetzl wrote on Thu, 09 Oct 2008 10:31:21 +0200:

> Change alle your pages to be UTF-8 or remove it.

NB: Of course, you can also use AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1 if you can be
sure that *all* the served documents will be that charset. If not, you
better don't use it.

Kai

--
Kai Schtzl, Berlin, Germany