Old 10-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Spike Turner

Default Samba 3.0.28/3.0.32

I've looked at the CentOS docs-list as well as the Wiki as I was interested
in Samba.

On one CentOS box I've got 3.0.32 (the latest bug-fixed version from Samba.org)
and on another I've got 3.0.28 (the latest from upstream). The docs look almost
the same and the docs refer to security = share. However 3.0.32 comes with a
blank smb.conf making it harder to get a secure server up and running.

Is there a plan for a quick and dirty guide on the Wiki for setting up Samba
with secure settings as well as TDB rather than deprecated settings?

In tips and tricks there is http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/WindowsShares
Without writing a book as someone suggested, a few one-liners could be put
together in the wiki.

Spike

Old 10-08-2008, 11:10 AM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 3:32 AM, Spike Turner <spiketurner09@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've looked at the CentOS docs-list as well as the Wiki as I was interested
> in Samba.

> Is there a plan for a quick and dirty guide on the Wiki for setting up Samba
> with secure settings as well as TDB rather than deprecated settings?

I think this should be discussed on the -docs list. You have probably seen:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2008-August/001756.html

which continues on to:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2008-August/001764.html

which continues on to:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2008-September/001775.html

Akemi

Old 10-08-2008, 11:40 PM
John R Pierce

Spike Turner wrote:
I've looked at the CentOS docs-list as well as the Wiki as I was interested
in Samba.

On one CentOS box I've got 3.0.32 (the latest bug-fixed version from Samba.org)
and on another I've got 3.0.28 (the latest from upstream). The docs look almost
the same and the docs refer to security = share. However 3.0.32 comes with a
blank smb.conf making it harder to get a secure server up and running.

Is there a plan for a quick and dirty guide on the Wiki for setting up Samba
with secure settings as well as TDB rather than deprecated settings?

FWIW (about what you paid), I've often used SWAT to setup my Samba
initial configuration.

yum install samba-swat, then edit /etc/xinetd.d/swat and put a # in
front of 'disable = yes', save this file, service xinetd reload, and
then use a browser to connect to http://localhost:901 log on as root,
and fill out the forms

(if you want to manage swat from a seperate workstation, # out the
only_from line too, or add your LAN ip or cidrrange, seperated by a space

example:
only_from = 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.0/24
would allow localhost or anyone on the 192.168.0.0/24 network to access
swat)

I know a lot of folks disparage swat, but its a lot easier than
remembering all the obscure settings in the smb.conf files when you've
got better things to do.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:26 AM
"Rob Townley"

*

FWIW (about what you paid), I've often used SWAT to setup my Samba initial configuration.

yum install samba-swat, then edit /etc/xinetd.d/swat and put a # *in front of 'disable = yes', save this file, service xinetd reload, and then use a browser to connect to http://localhost:901 log on as root, and fill out the forms

(if you want to manage swat from a seperate workstation, # out the only_from line too, or add your LAN ip or cidrrange, seperated by a space

example:

* only_from * * = 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.0/24

would allow localhost or anyone on the 192.168.0.0/24 network to access swat)

I know a lot of folks disparage swat, but its a lot easier than remembering all the obscure settings in the smb.conf files when you've got better things to do.

You may want to look at a third party samba packager for better documentation such as:
http://enterprisesamba.org/

Old 10-09-2008, 06:19 AM
Spike Turner

Rob Townley wrote:

> You may want to look at a third party samba packager for
> better documentation such as: http://enterprisesamba.org/

My 3.0.32 is from the enterprise samba and coincidentally the
html charset problem (mentioned separately) is from viewing
the enterprise docs.

Someone mentioned SWAT. I don't use SWAT or system-config-samba
as I admin the server from the CLI. Also its easy to get up and
running but the problem is not to get up and running. The
following problems remain :-

1. The CentOS server with Enterprise Samba 3.0.32 is also the DNS
server but "View Workgroup Computers" is slow from windows. Even
after tweaking /etc/nsswitch and specifying the CentOS server as
the browser master and wins server. I've googled and looked at
people from other distros with the same problem but no joy here.
I've turned off the computer browser on XP but no avail.

Spike.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Rob Townley wrote:
> You may want to look at a third party samba packager for better
> documentation such as:
> http://enterprisesamba.org/

More than the 25MB(!) of documentation which are in the samba packages
we release?

Ralph

Old 10-09-2008, 11:53 AM
"John"

JohnStanley Writes:

Check out the tcp nodelay samba option in smb.conf.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Spike Turner

John wrote:

> Check out the tcp nodelay samba option in smb.conf.

I have the following in my smb.conf

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

Actually it looks as if the problem with the slow browsing may
not be Samba related since XP Pro and Win2K Pro clients browse
the network very fast. It is XP Home that is slow. XP Home was
purposefully "crippled" by MS so it lacks networking features
in XP Pro and Win2k Pro.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Spike Turner

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> More than the 25MB(!) of documentation which are in the
> samba packages we release?

Yes the Enterprise Samba Docs are more than 28 Mb but are
raw in that they refer to Samba 3.2.x as well as having links
not working and charset specified in some files and unspecified
in others. There are also countless examples but you have to
figure out for yourself what applies to 3.0.32 and what does not.

Unless you have a specific problem covered by the bug fixes in
3.0.29 to 3.0.32 in my opinion, I would say stick with the version
shipped by CentOS. The smb.conf shipped by CentOS is also a good
working start as compared to a blank smb.conf and a tonne of
examples in 3.0.32

Spike