Old 12-11-2007, 04:29 PM
"Bart Schaefer"

Default Newer gamin package for CentOS 4.x?

The gam_server in gamin-0.1.7-1.2.EL4 occasionally goes into an
infinite loop (googling indicates there have been problems with this
in gam_server for a long time, I see "another attempt to fix ..."
dating from 2004). Does anyone know whether a newer version of gamin
has finally fixed this and if so where an RPM or SRPM for the fixed
version, suitable for CentOS 4, might be found?

Old 12-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Gregg McClintic

I have the same issue on my desktop.
No fix that I know of at the moment. Causes my cpu to go over threshold
sometimes too

Old 12-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Matt Hyclak

> On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 09:29 -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> > The gam_server in gamin-0.1.7-1.2.EL4 occasionally goes into an
> > infinite loop (googling indicates there have been problems with this
> > in gam_server for a long time, I see "another attempt to fix ..."
> > dating from 2004). Does anyone know whether a newer version of gamin
> > has finally fixed this and if so where an RPM or SRPM for the fixed
> > version, suitable for CentOS 4, might be found?

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 01:44:14PM -0500, Gregg McClintic enlightened us:
> I have the same issue on my desktop.
> No fix that I know of at the moment. Causes my cpu to go over threshold
> sometimes too

There are (were) two different bugs that chewed up 100% CPU time. One was
constantly polling, the other was doing nothing. An updated gamin was
released in 4.6 to fix the constant polling problem. I'm not sure if the
other has been addressed yet or not. The bugzilla's are in Redhat's systemif
you care to look them up.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak