Old 10-07-2008, 05:39 AM
Ross Cavanagh

Default How to upgrade GNOME in CentOS?

Sadaruwan Samaraweera wrote:

Hi,
I need to know is there a way to upgrade the current version of GNOME
to the newest version ?

--
Sadaruwan Samaraweera
The gnome website has a fair bit of information about it. For the latest

http://www.gnome.org/~davyd/footware.shtml

if you want to add the latest version, you probably want to check out...
http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/

-Ross-

Old 10-07-2008, 02:16 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Sadaruwan Samaraweera
<slinuxworld@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to know is there a way to upgrade the current version of GNOME to the
> newest version ?

There are multiple ways, many of them will make your system
unworkable.. all of them will break getting many updates from CentOS.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

Old 10-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Spike Turner

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> There are multiple ways, many of them will make your system
> unworkable.. all of them will break getting many updates
> from CentOS.

Why not run another distro with the latest and greatest Gnome
or Kde if that is what you want? Trying to upgrade a CentOS
box will mean you have something else. Its doomed to failure
IMO.

Spike.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:20 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Sadaruwan Samaraweera
> <slinuxworld@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I need to know is there a way to upgrade the current version of GNOME to the
>> newest version ?
>
> There are multiple ways, many of them will make your system
> unworkable.. all of them will break getting many updates from CentOS.

CentOS is an Enterprise distro and rarely, if ever, includes the
latest and greatest, for stability and security reasons. If you want
the latest and greatest, as others have suggested, this is not the
distro for you. If you want stability, security and an OS with a very
long life and outstanding support, CentOS is for you.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Karanbir Singh

Spike Turner wrote:
Why not run another distro with the latest and greatest Gnome
or Kde if that is what you want? Trying to upgrade a CentOS
box will mean you have something else. Its doomed to failure

fwiw, a garnome build normally works fine anywhere.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Karanbir Singh

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Spike Turner wrote:
Why not run another distro with the latest and greatest Gnome or Kde
if that is what you want? Trying to upgrade a CentOS box will mean you
have something else. Its doomed to failure

fwiw, a garnome build normally works fine anywhere.

I just got my head kicked in offlist by someone who tried this.... so I
want to elaborate a bit : while garnome builds do work fine, they work
fine only for the stuff that you build with it, pretty much everything
else you expect to work with some level of integration into the gnome
environment will break, almost certainly. So dont expect for the entire
'distro' to stay 'together' post gnome-update.

- KB

Old 10-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Spike Turner wrote:
Why not run another distro with the latest and greatest Gnome or Kde
if that is what you want? Trying to upgrade a CentOS box will mean
you have something else. Its doomed to failure

fwiw, a garnome build normally works fine anywhere.

I just got my head kicked in offlist by someone who tried this....

OUCH!

so I want to elaborate a bit :

It is always the case of: "do you want 25 words or the answer"? Many of
us, in our area of expertise can get a little too quick and short with
answers, or just too much for the common person.

while garnome builds do work fine, they work fine only for the stuff
that you build with it, pretty much everything else you expect to work
with some level of integration into the gnome environment will break,
almost certainly. So dont expect for the entire 'distro' to stay
'together' post gnome-update.

And thus I stay with what is built for me.

Karanbir, Thanks for everything you do for all of us!

Old 10-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Spike Turner

Karanbir Singh wrote:

> > fwiw, a garnome build normally works fine anywhere.
>

> I just got my head kicked in offlist by someone who tried
> this.... so I
> want to elaborate a bit : while garnome builds do work
> fine, they work
> fine only for the stuff that you build with it, pretty much
> everything
> else you expect to work with some level of integration into
> the gnome
> environment will break, almost certainly. So dont expect
> for the entire
> 'distro' to stay 'together' post
> gnome-update.

I hate to say i told you so. :-)

Spike.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:37 AM
Saul Bejarano

>From your shell:

yum install groupinstall gnome-desktop

It will find the latest version on your repo list.

Kind regards,

Saul