Old 12-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Alfred von Campe

Default CentOS 5 sysreport

I stumbled across this issue because I requested to install the
sysreport package in my kickstart file. Anaconda complains that such
a package doesn't exist. There is a bug report about this already
(http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2492), but it's certainly a
strange situation.

1. Anaconda doesn't think the package sysreport exists

2. yum thinks it exists:
# yum list sysreport
Setting up repositories
Available Packages
sysreport.noarch 1.4.3-13.el5 base

3. But installing with yum fails:
# yum install sysreport
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Parsing package install arguments
Package sos - 1.7-9.1.el5.noarch already installed and
latest version

Nothing to do

4. The sysreport file from the sos package fails to run:
# sysreport
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/sbin/sysreport", line 31, in ?
import sos.policyredhat
ImportError: No module named sos.policyredhat

5. But if you extract /usr/sbin/sysreport from the sysreport
package using

rpm2cpio for instance, it works just fine.

So it would be nice if yum would allow installing the sysreport
package (see step 3 above) as that would appear to solve all the
problems.

Alfred

Old 12-11-2007, 03:56 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Dec 11, 2007 9:46 AM, Alfred von Campe <alfred@von-campe.com> wrote:
> I stumbled across this issue because I requested to install the
> sysreport package in my kickstart file. Anaconda complains that such
> a package doesn't exist. There is a bug report about this already
> (http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2492), but it's certainly a
> strange situation.
>
> 1. Anaconda doesn't think the package sysreport exists
>
> 2. yum thinks it exists:
> # yum list sysreport
> Setting up repositories
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Available Packages
> sysreport.noarch 1.4.3-13.el5 base
>
> 3. But installing with yum fails:
> # yum install sysreport
> Setting up Install Process
> Setting up repositories
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Parsing package install arguments
> Package sos - 1.7-9.1.el5.noarch already installed and
> latest version
> Nothing to do
>
> 4. The sysreport file from the sos package fails to run:
> # sysreport
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/sbin/sysreport", line 31, in ?
> import sos.policyredhat
> ImportError: No module named sos.policyredhat

Hmmm something else is 'borked' on the system. Here it is on a 5.1
updated system:

[root@nausicaa ~]# sysreport

WARNING: sysreport is deprecated, please use sosreport instead.

sosreport (version 1.7)

This utility will collect some detailed information about the
hardware and setup of your Red Hat Enterprise Linux system.
The information is collected and an archive is packaged under
/tmp, which you can send to a support representative.
Red Hat will use this information for diagnostic purposes ONLY
and it will be considered confidential information.

I do see a bug above...

Old 12-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Alfred von Campe