Old 10-06-2008, 05:48 AM
MHR

Default Boot disk order: h/w vs. grub

I'm still having conceptual trouble with this one.

I have two PATA and two SATA disks in my home system. When the system
comes up, these are, espectively, /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, /dev/sda and
/dev/sdb. I have the boot order of the drives in the boot PROM set to
boot from /dev/sda (hard drive 2), then /dev/hda (hd 0), and usually
that works fine. /dev/sda is properly set up with the MBR and /boot
lives there as well.

However, when the system has to be shut down, usually for some length
of time more than just a few seconds, when it comes back up, it can't
find the boot image.

I forgot how I got around this the first time. The second time, when
it wasn't booting past the "GRUB" part of the grub announcement, I
used the installation disk, booted into linux resuce mode, chroot'd to
the actual system disk and re-did grub-install. Still, a few days
later (last Tuesday) when my video card went south, I just edited the
grub boot line to use root(hd2, 0) and it came up, followed by several
reboots with unmodified grub config lines.

I guess I'm wondering if there's some more permanent way around this
issue. Do I need to overwrite the MBR on hd0? Should I reconfigure
the system so the PATA drives are not connected to the m/b at all
(i.e., usb enclosures)? Is this a bug in grub? All this is assuming
that I do not get rid of the PATA drives and/or get a new m/b that has
<something else>....

It seems strange that this should be such a pain, even though in a
rather oddball way it makes sense.

Thoughts?

Thanks

mhr

Old 10-06-2008, 02:47 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 10:48 PM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess I'm wondering if there's some more permanent way around this
> issue. Do I need to overwrite the MBR on hd0? Should I reconfigure
> the system so the PATA drives are not connected to the m/b at all
> (i.e., usb enclosures)? Is this a bug in grub? All this is assuming
> that I do not get rid of the PATA drives and/or get a new m/b that has
> <something else>....
>
> It seems strange that this should be such a pain, even though in a
> rather oddball way it makes sense.
>
> Thoughts?

I had a situation similar to yours. When I had a mix of PATA and
SATA, I just could not boot the thing. Played with the BIOS settings,
grub entries such as hd(0,0), etc etc. I finally gave up on it and
went for lilo which had no issue booting the same system. I'd be
happy to go back to grub if I could get it to work.

Akemi

Old 10-06-2008, 04:31 PM
MHR

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 7:47 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had a situation similar to yours. When I had a mix of PATA and
> SATA, I just could not boot the thing. Played with the BIOS settings,
> grub entries such as hd(0,0), etc etc. I finally gave up on it and
> went for lilo which had no issue booting the same system. I'd be
> happy to go back to grub if I could get it to work.

Thanks. Maybe I'll just go back to booting from hd0 - that was
working fine before. /boot et al still live on /dev/sda, I was
actually (originally) just trying to CMA, but it looks like there's a
hole in that cover, too. (Hahaha!)

I remember when I was working with LILO In 1998-9, and I didn't really
care for it then. Grub has, IMNSHO, a nicer interface, but it isn't
quite as robust (obviously). I'll have to go back and look at LILO
again - maybe.

Ciao!

mhr