Old 10-04-2008, 04:43 PM
"nate"

Default ejabberd 2.0.2 vs SELinux vs CentOS 5

Damian S wrote:
> To answer my question, I have found the allow_execmem boolean, and set
> it.
>
> So, should I file a bug with someone?
>
> Also, I'm thinking I might run into more problems with SELinux silently
> interfering with ejabberd later on, so maybe I should disable SELinux
> and be done with it.

That's what I'd suggest too. SELinux isn't even installed on any
of the systems I manage(roughly 350). Not worth the trouble.

nate

Old 10-04-2008, 07:01 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Damian S <dsteward@internode.on.net> wrote:
> To answer my question, I have found the allow_execmem boolean, and set
> it.
>
> So, should I file a bug with someone?
>
> Also, I'm thinking I might run into more problems with SELinux silently
> interfering with ejabberd later on, so maybe I should disable SELinux
> and be done with it.

Well look at the problem.. your program is trying to execute code in
the memory area of the stack versus the application. That is usually
what exploit code does. So the first question I would ask is why is it
acting like exploit code? Now certain languages do act like that
because their concept of a stack is 'machine independant' (I think
thats the correct term).. an example is Lisp which expects that you
are running your code on a LISP machine which has a different memory
manager than most modern day hardware. On the other hand, some uses a
side effect to accomplish something because the programmer was being
clever.. which usually bites someone later.

There are several paths you can go from here:

1) Run the system in passive mode. You won't be protected, but you can
watch what might be causing issues later on. [Worst case, if you have
an exploited machine and the logs aren't wiped.. you can figure out
why... ] Anytime you have something doing crypto that way would have
me wondering if some programmer was trying to be too clever.

2) Write a policy using audit2allow that would allow for ejabberd to
execute on the stack but not other programs

3) Turn on the boolean which then allows any program to execute memory.

4) Turn off selinux.

> Does anyone here run ejabberd with SELinux enabled?

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

Old 10-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Damian S

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 09:43 -0700, nate wrote:
> Damian S wrote:
> > Also, I'm thinking I might run into more problems with SELinux silently
> > interfering with ejabberd later on, so maybe I should disable SELinux
> > and be done with it.
>
> That's what I'd suggest too. SELinux isn't even installed on any
> of the systems I manage(roughly 350). Not worth the trouble.

Wow, 350 servers!

Although I run my dev machine in permissive mode because I need Zend
Platform to provide remote PHP debugging, I'm desperately trying not to
have to do the same to this and other servers.
I'm not sufficiently good enough of an admin to not need help from
selinux for a web-facing server.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:04 AM
Damian S

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 13:01 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Damian S <dsteward@internode.on.net> wrote:
> > Also, I'm thinking I might run into more problems with SELinux silently
> > interfering with ejabberd later on, so maybe I should disable SELinux
> > and be done with it.
> >

> Well look at the problem.. your program is trying to execute code in
> the memory area of the stack versus the application. That is usually
> what exploit code does. So the first question I would ask is why is it
> acting like exploit code? Now certain languages do act like that
> because their concept of a stack is 'machine independant' (I think
> thats the correct term).. an example is Lisp which expects that you
> are running your code on a LISP machine which has a different memory
> manager than most modern day hardware. On the other hand, some uses a
> side effect to accomplish something because the programmer was being
> clever.. which usually bites someone later.

Yes. This is erlang, so I've no doubt it does tricky things.

Ok so, I'll pester the process-one guys to either change this behaviour
or write an selinux policy for ejabberd.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:48 AM
Damian S

On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 03:02 +1100, Damian S wrote:
> Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have discovered that SELinux is
> preventing erlang from accessing its crypto libs.
> This message appears in the SELinux audit logs:
> type=AVC msg=audit(1223133076.770:102): avc: denied { execmod } for
> pid=3878 comm="beam.smp"
> path="/opt/ejabberd-2.0.2_2/lib/crypto-1.5.2/priv/linux-x86/lib/crypto_drv.so" dev=dm-0 ino=26738869 scontext=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t:s0 tcontext=user_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 tclass=file

Just one final thing (hope it helps someone in future), according to Dan
Walsh, much better (more fine-grained) than setting the allow_execmem
boolean is to do this:
chcon -t unconfined_execmem_exec_t /opt/ejabberd-2.0.2_2/bin/beam.smp

Old 10-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Karanbir Singh

Damian S wrote:

Just one final thing (hope it helps someone in future), according to Dan
Walsh, much better (more fine-grained) than setting the allow_execmem
boolean is to do this:
chcon -t unconfined_execmem_exec_t /opt/ejabberd-2.0.2_2/bin/beam.smp

And file this as something the rpm packager needs to look at for
ejabberd, its not a bug in CentOS.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:02 PM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 12:43, nate <centos@linuxpowered.net> wrote:
>> so maybe I should disable SELinux
>> and be done with it.
>
> That's what I'd suggest too. SELinux isn't even installed on any
> of the systems I manage(roughly 350). Not worth the trouble.

That's a very bad advice.

SELinux is very useful as a security measure in Linux, and since RHEL5
(and CentOS 5) it has reached a good balance in terms of usability vs.
security. I admit that making it work under the previous versions was
very tricky, but with CentOS 5 it just works.

Of course you eventually have to tweak it to make it work for 3rd
party programs (such as in the OP's case). In that case, this page may
help you do it:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SELinux

SELinux is certainly complex and there is a steep learning curve, but
it's certainly worth learning how to use it and keeping it enabled.

Filipe