Old 12-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default After 5.1 update $releasever is still 5

I have performed the 5.1 update via the 5 repo on a couple of systems.
I then went to switch these systems to my new local repo using ther
$releasever variable. It still has the value of 5, not 5.1

Where is this set? Why was it not changed to 5.1?

On the one clean install from the 5.1 isos, $releasever is at 5.1 I think.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:51 PM
"Tim Verhoeven"

On Dec 11, 2007 2:47 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:
> I have performed the 5.1 update via the 5 repo on a couple of systems.
> I then went to switch these systems to my new local repo using ther
> $releasever variable. It still has the value of 5, not 5.1
>
> Where is this set? Why was it not changed to 5.1?
>
> On the one clean install from the 5.1 isos, $releasever is at 5.1 I think.

See http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS5#q8, it is related.

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 12-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Karanbir Singh

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Where is this set? Why was it not changed to 5.1?

The question has been answered a few times already, i suggest you do
some research on your own part before just blindly writing to the list.

On the one clean install from the 5.1 isos, $releasever is at 5.1 I
think.

either someone changed that manually, or you are wrong. Please confirm
if there is indeed a 5.1 being reported as $releasever ? if so, your yum
configs are broken or manually modified.

CentOS has always had trunk release at the main version number in repo
tree's, for CentOS-3, 4 and now 5

Old 12-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Where is this set? Why was it not changed to 5.1?

The question has been answered a few times already, i suggest you do
some research on your own part before just blindly writing to the list.
Myst have mystyped $releasever when I did a serch in my mail folder....
My dyslexia at work. Or just my poor typing.
On the one clean install from the 5.1 isos, $releasever is at 5.1 I
think.

either someone changed that manually, or you are wrong. Please confirm
if there is indeed a 5.1 being reported as $releasever ? if so, your
yum configs are broken or manually modified.
Kind of hard on that system as the drive crashed, but I have another
install set up for later today.
CentOS has always had trunk release at the main version number in repo
tree's, for CentOS-3, 4 and now 5
I did a search for $rel in the message body (instead of trying to spell
it right), and found the various discussions.

Thanks for the pointer.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Johnny Hughes

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I have performed the 5.1 update via the 5 repo on a couple of systems.
> I then went to switch these systems to my new local repo using ther
> $releasever variable. It still has the value of 5, not 5.1
>
> Where is this set? Why was it not changed to 5.1?

Just to answer this "technical question" ...

$releasever is obtained by getting the release string from a package
that is defined in the yum.conf file.

The package is set with this variable in yum.conf:

distroverpkg=

In the case of centos, that variable is either centos-release or
/etc/redhat-release.

You can see what the $releasever is with this command:

rpm -q --qf '%{VERSION}
' centos-release

OR

rpm -q --qf '%{VERSION}
' `rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/redhat-release`

(Both of these will work, and one is used, depending on the value of
distroverpkg= in /etc/yum.conf)

Every release of CentOS-3.x, CentOS-4.x, and CentOS-5.x has ALWAYS had
3, 4, or 5 as the $releasever. We control WHAT /4/ or /5/ is (as a
symlink) so that we set the "Current Version" by pointing 4 to 4.5 or
4.6 and 5 to 5.0 or 5.1. We have been doing this for 4 years.

We have NEVER had 3.5, 4.5, 5.1, etc. as a $releasever.

We MAY have a 5.1 or 4.6 as a release version for people who want to
stay on a point release (after a new version is available) as the
upstream provider releases their "z stream" releases later. We may also
just provide CentOS-Base.repo files as replacement files that have hard
coded versions in place.

Keep in mind that other (3rd party) sites use 3, 4, 5 in their .repo
files for centos ... and if we change this (to 4.6 or 5.1), it will
possibly break their repos on your system until they take action to make
5.1 or 4.6 work on their server, or until you edit THEIR .repo files and
make changes.

> On the one clean install from the 5.1 isos, $releasever is at 5.1 I
> think.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Old 12-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Bernard Lheureux

But in the 4.xx version when you do a 'cat /etc/redhat-release' it shows
you the version "CentOS release 4.5 (Final)" for example, now with
version 5 after the upgrade to version 5.1 if you do a
'cat /etc/redhat-release' it always shows "CentOS release 5 (Final)" and
not "CentOS release 5.1 (Final)"

> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> > I have performed the 5.1 update via the 5 repo on a couple of systems.
> > I then went to switch these systems to my new local repo using ther
> > $releasever variable. It still has the value of 5, not 5.1
> >
> > Where is this set? Why was it not changed to 5.1?
> >

> Just to answer this "technical question" ...
>
> $releasever is obtained by getting the release string from a package
> that is defined in the yum.conf file.
>
> The package is set with this variable in yum.conf:
>
> distroverpkg=
>
> In the case of centos, that variable is either centos-release or
> /etc/redhat-release.
>
> You can see what the $releasever is with this command:
>
> rpm -q --qf '%{VERSION}
' centos-release

> OR
>
> rpm -q --qf '%{VERSION}
' `rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/redhat-release`

> (Both of these will work, and one is used, depending on the value of
> distroverpkg= in /etc/yum.conf)
>
> Every release of CentOS-3.x, CentOS-4.x, and CentOS-5.x has ALWAYS had
> 3, 4, or 5 as the $releasever. We control WHAT /4/ or /5/ is (as a
> symlink) so that we set the "Current Version" by pointing 4 to 4.5 or
> 4.6 and 5 to 5.0 or 5.1. We have been doing this for 4 years.
>
> We have NEVER had 3.5, 4.5, 5.1, etc. as a $releasever.
>
> We MAY have a 5.1 or 4.6 as a release version for people who want to
> stay on a point release (after a new version is available) as the
> upstream provider releases their "z stream" releases later. We may also
> just provide CentOS-Base.repo files as replacement files that have hard
> coded versions in place.
>
> Keep in mind that other (3rd party) sites use 3, 4, 5 in their .repo
> files for centos ... and if we change this (to 4.6 or 5.1), it will
> possibly break their repos on your system until they take action to make
> 5.1 or 4.6 work on their server, or until you edit THEIR .repo files and
> make changes.
>

> > On the one clean install from the 5.1 isos, $releasever is at 5.1 I
> > think.
>

> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

M$-Internet Exploder est le cancer de l'Internet, voyez pourquoi ici :
http://www.aful.org/ressources/documentations/msie-problemes-securite/

Old 12-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Chris Mauritz

Bernard Lheureux wrote:

On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 06:58 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:

But in the 4.xx version when you do a 'cat /etc/redhat-release' it shows
you the version "CentOS release 4.5 (Final)" for example, now with
version 5 after the upgrade to version 5.1 if you do a
'cat /etc/redhat-release' it always shows "CentOS release 5 (Final)" and
not "CentOS release 5.1 (Final)"

Agreed. That was the source of a bit of head scratching here as well.

Best,

Old 12-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Dan Maranville

Chris Mauritz wrote:

Bernard Lheureux wrote:

On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 06:58 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:

But in the 4.xx version when you do a 'cat /etc/redhat-release' it shows
you the version "CentOS release 4.5 (Final)" for example, now with
version 5 after the upgrade to version 5.1 if you do a
'cat /etc/redhat-release' it always shows "CentOS release 5 (Final)" and
not "CentOS release 5.1 (Final)"

Agreed. That was the source of a bit of head scratching here as well.

I do believe this was covered in recent mailings located in the archive
and also in the Wiki:

http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS5#q8

Regards,
Dan