Old 10-03-2008, 09:48 PM
"Fong Vang"

Default Putting CentOS 5.2 kernel on CentOS 4.x

Has anyone tried to install a CentOS 5.x kernel on a CentOS 4.x system?* Is this doable?* I"m aware of the dependencies but I'm curious if anyone has done this successfully.

Basically, we have a few hundred 4.x systems that cannot be upgraded to 5.x, yet, but we do need the kernel update to fix the XFS problem as described here: http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3125

Old 10-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Scott Silva

on 10-3-2008 2:48 PM Fong Vang spake the following:
> Has anyone tried to install a CentOS 5.x kernel on a CentOS 4.x system?
> Is this doable? I"m aware of the dependencies but I'm curious if anyone
> has done this successfully.
>
> Basically, we have a few hundred 4.x systems that cannot be upgraded to
> 5.x, yet, but we do need the kernel update to fix the XFS problem as
> described here: http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3125

You would be on your own with that! Do you have a non-critical system you can
test on? You would probably need to get the source rpm and build it on a 4.x
devel system.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and