Vandaman 10-03-2008 08:33 PM

Proposed New Mailing List

Karanbir Singh wrote:

> And yea, working on setting up a sort of list to handle
> much of this semi OT traffic. More news on that around
> Wed next week, dint ask about it now.

Off course people are going to ask. In my opinion as long
as a topic is marked OT, it is preferable to one not marked
but one in which the OP has not even done basic research
on his problem.

One distro had a "brainflash" a number of years ago - create
a list for expert users and one for newbies. It didn't take
long for the newbies to realise that there was no one to
help and so flooded the "expert list". This put off the
"experts".

On some mailing lists, long time users are put off by the
flood of posts by newbies who don't even conform to the list
guidelines. Some pay back by not replying to those in violation
without as much as a hint.

Would a new list really solve anything or would it close
one door and open another?

Regards,
Vandaman.

"Ross Walker" 10-03-2008 08:43 PM

Proposed New Mailing List

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Vandaman <vandaman2002-rt@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>> And yea, working on setting up a sort of list to handle
>> much of this semi OT traffic. More news on that around
>> Wed next week, dint ask about it now.
>
> Off course people are going to ask. In my opinion as long
> as a topic is marked OT, it is preferable to one not marked
> but one in which the OP has not even done basic research
> on his problem.
>
> One distro had a "brainflash" a number of years ago - create
> a list for expert users and one for newbies. It didn't take
> long for the newbies to realise that there was no one to
> help and so flooded the "expert list". This put off the
> "experts".
>
> On some mailing lists, long time users are put off by the
> flood of posts by newbies who don't even conform to the list
> guidelines. Some pay back by not replying to those in violation
> without as much as a hint.
>
> Would a new list really solve anything or would it close
> one door and open another?

A CentOS social list would allow the crumedgeon'ing to
happen off the main list and for users looking for ISPs or
other CentOS community recommended wares/services.

I seriously doubt they would be talking newbie/expert lists,
as I believe the whole purpose of the lists is to share your
knowledge with the less knowledgable. If it were all experts
there would be no traffic!

-Ross

Ned Slider 10-03-2008 09:02 PM

Proposed New Mailing List

Vandaman wrote:

Off course people are going to ask. In my opinion as long
as a topic is marked OT, it is preferable to one not marked
but one in which the OP has not even done basic research
on his problem.

It may be preferable to YOU, but marking something OT doesn't stop it
wasting MY bandwidth or clogging up MY inbox does it?

Your latter point is a separate issue that has no relevance to this
discussion.

Vandaman 10-03-2008 09:15 PM

Proposed New Mailing List

Ned Slider wrote:

> It may be preferable to YOU, but marking something
> OT doesn't stop it wasting MY bandwidth or clogging
> up MY inbox does it?
> Your latter point is a separate issue that has no
> relevance to this discussion.

If you cannot understand what is wrong with using
the mailing list as your first port of call instead
of a basic google search you may need brain surgery.

It's not a waste of bandwidth to post ontopic stuff
that is easily solved by simple google searches or
reading the docs?

Regards,
Vandaman.

Bill Campbell 10-03-2008 09:23 PM

Proposed New Mailing List

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008, Ned Slider wrote:
> Vandaman wrote:
>>
>> Off course people are going to ask. In my opinion as long
>> as a topic is marked OT, it is preferable to one not marked
>> but one in which the OP has not even done basic research on his
>> problem.
>>

> It may be preferable to YOU, but marking something OT doesn't stop it
> wasting MY bandwidth or clogging up MY inbox does it?

That's what incoming mail filters are for :-). I must admit that
I do the vast majority of my e-mail using mutt which makes it
extremely easy for me to delete threads unread. This is usually
much more time-consuming with GUI or web mail clients.

Personally I have no problem with the occassional OT thread, and
think that, within reason, they can make a list more ``friendly'
and less intimidating to newbies.

I also prefer more general lists to those that have very tight
charters as I learn quite a bit when I see threads with
interesting subjects that I might not see otherwise.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

Rights is a fictional abstraction. No one has ``Rights', neither
machines nor flesh-and-blood. Persons... have opportunities, not rights,
which they use or do not use.
-- Lazarus Long

"William L. Maltby" 10-03-2008 09:39 PM

Proposed New Mailing List

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 14:23 -0700, Bill Campbell wrote:
> <snip>

> Personally I have no problem with the occassional OT thread, and
> think that, within reason, they can make a list more ``friendly'
> and less intimidating to newbies.

Amen brother!

> I also prefer more general lists to those that have very tight
> charters as I learn quite a bit when I see threads with
> interesting subjects that I might not see otherwise.

Hallelujah!

--
Bill (the other one - he's not talking to "hisself" ;-)

Karanbir Singh 10-03-2008 10:14 PM

Proposed New Mailing List

Vandaman wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>> And yea, working on setting up a sort of list to handle
>> much of this semi OT traffic. More news on that around
>> Wed next week, dint ask about it now.
>
> Off course people are going to ask.

your email is just a rant about nonsense and assumption. You have no
idea as to what is going to be proposed not why and how. So I suggest
you hang tight and wait for it.

Ned Slider 10-03-2008 10:14 PM

Proposed New Mailing List

Vandaman wrote:

Ned Slider wrote:

It may be preferable to YOU, but marking something
OT doesn't stop it wasting MY bandwidth or clogging
up MY inbox does it?
Your latter point is a separate issue that has no
relevance to this discussion.

If you cannot understand what is wrong with using
the mailing list as your first port of call instead
of a basic google search you may need brain surgery.

I understand very well thank you, but as I said above it has no
relevance to the topic of an OFF TOPIC mailing list. I was referring to
mails that have no place on the list in the first place!

Vandaman 10-03-2008 10:30 PM

Proposed New Mailing List

Bill Campbell wrote:

> Personally I have no problem with the occassional OT thread, and
> think that, within reason, they can make a list more ``friendly'
> and less intimidating to newbies.

> I also prefer more general lists to those that have very tight
> charters as I learn quite a bit when I see threads with
> interesting subjects that I might not see otherwise.

It will be interesting if things went like so :-

- a CentOS Ivory Tower List for those on top of Ivory Towers.
- a CentOS OT list full of 419 scammers, salesmen/affiliates posts
- a CentOS n00b list for n00bs

Regards,
Vandaman.

Kai Schaetzl 10-03-2008 10:32 PM

Proposed New Mailing List

Vandaman wrote on Fri, 3 Oct 2008 21:15:36 +0000 (GMT):

> If you cannot understand what is wrong with using
> the mailing list as your first port of call instead
> of a basic google search you may need brain surgery.

Can you please review your behavior and stop this now! Now! Thanks.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany