Old 12-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Jerry Geis

Default centos 5.1 install on thumbdrive

Is there anything new on installing centos 5.1 on a 4G thumbdrive?

What about the number of writes to the flash? Is that still a problem?

Jerry

Old 12-11-2007, 03:29 AM
Mark Pryor

--- Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:

> Is there anything new on installing centos 5.1 on a
> 4G thumbdrive?
>
> What about the number of writes to the flash? Is
> that still a problem?

Jerry,

Have you tried one of the live Distros on USB flash?

A live, or aka "portable executable", OS works well on
USB as opposed to a normal distro of Centos.

I've found great utility in knoppix 5.0+ and the
Fedora 7 live. FC7 (live) is a close cousin to CentOS
5.

http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/7/Live/

There was an effort to release a live C5, but I lost
track of it. Since RHEL isn't going in that direction,
I don't expect (or want) to see a CentOS splinter
group trying to pick up where RHEL is lacking.

--
Mark

Old 12-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Karanbir Singh

Mark Pryor wrote:
> There was an effort to release a live C5, but I lost
> track of it. Since RHEL isn't going in that direction,
> I don't expect (or want) to see a CentOS splinter
> group trying to pick up where RHEL is lacking.

hummm, there is a livecd for centos-5.0 and we are working on the livecd
for 5.1, what gives you the impression that the project was scraped ?

Old 12-12-2007, 04:03 AM
Mark Pryor

--- Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> Mark Pryor wrote:
> > There was an effort to release a live C5, but I
> lost
> > track of it. Since RHEL isn't going in that
> direction,
> > I don't expect (or want) to see a CentOS splinter
> > group trying to pick up where RHEL is lacking.
> >

> hummm, there is a livecd for centos-5.0 and we are
> working on the livecd
> for 5.1, what gives you the impression that the
> project was scraped ?

My apologies. I took another look at my favorite
mirror and there is one:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5.0/isos/i386/CentOS-5.0-i386-LiveCD.iso

An ISO like this can easily be converted from ISOLINUX
to SYSLINUX for booting on USB flash. To run any Linux
on USB flash stick with a LIVE version.

--
Mark

Old 12-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Karanbir Singh

Hi Mark,

I was just worried, perhaps we didnt communicate it well enough that
there is a LiveCD around as well !!

Mark Pryor wrote:

An ISO like this can easily be converted from ISOLINUX
to SYSLINUX for booting on USB flash. To run any Linux
on USB flash stick with a LIVE version.

Where can I find instructions on that process