Old 12-10-2007, 03:18 PM
"Scott Moseman"

Default 5.1 Upgrade Not Working?

So both "yum upgrade" and "yum update" now are complete and there's no
new packages. However, when I attempt to check my version, I'm still
showing 5.

# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5 (Final)

I remember seeing 5.1 repositories being access for the upgrades. Is
it possible my system did not upgrade?

# uname -r
2.6.18-53.1.4.el5.centos.plus

Thanks,
Scott

Old 12-10-2007, 03:24 PM
"Tim Verhoeven"

On Dec 10, 2007 5:18 PM, Scott Moseman <scmoseman@gmail.com> wrote:
> So both "yum upgrade" and "yum update" now are complete and there's no
> new packages. However, when I attempt to check my version, I'm still
> showing 5.
>
> # cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 5 (Final)
>
> I remember seeing 5.1 repositories being access for the upgrades. Is
> it possible my system did not upgrade?
>
> # uname -r
> 2.6.18-53.1.4.el5.centos.plus

This is normal behaviour. See http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS5#q8
for more information.

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 12-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 10:18:37AM -0600, Scott Moseman wrote:
> So both "yum upgrade" and "yum update" now are complete and there's no
> new packages. However, when I attempt to check my version, I'm still
> showing 5.
>
> # cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 5 (Final)
>
> I remember seeing 5.1 repositories being access for the upgrades. Is
> it possible my system did not upgrade?
>
> # uname -r
> 2.6.18-53.1.4.el5.centos.plus

Check the output of rpm -q centos-release. /etc/redhat-release isn't
updated as in previous releases.

Ray

Old 12-10-2007, 04:00 PM
"Scott Moseman"

On Dec 10, 2007 10:24 AM, Tim Verhoeven <tim.verhoeven.be@gmail.com> wrote:

> > So both "yum upgrade" and "yum update" now are complete and there's
> > no new packages. However, when I attempt to check my version, I'm still
> > showing 5.
> >
> > # cat /etc/redhat-release
> > CentOS release 5 (Final)
> >

> This is normal behaviour. See http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS5#q8
> for more information.

That explanation does not make any sense to me. "CentOS release 5
(final)" means I'm current? There's not going to be any distinction
between update versions anymore?

Thanks,
Scott

Old 12-10-2007, 04:05 PM
"Scott Moseman"

On Dec 10, 2007 10:24 AM, Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson@esri.com> wrote:

> > # cat /etc/redhat-release
> > CentOS release 5 (Final)
>
> Check the output of rpm -q centos-release. /etc/redhat-release
> isn't updated as in previous releases.

# rpm -q centos-release
centos-release-5-1.0.el5.centos.1

I'm not sure how to read that version. To me, it says I'm on 5,
unless the 1.0 is suppose to tell me the update version.

Thanks,
Scott

Old 12-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Karanbir Singh