Old 09-18-2008, 05:36 PM
"nate"

Default How to create a virtual bonded interface?

John Horne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a server with 4 NICS running CentOS 5.2. I have bonded the
> interfaces together such that 'bond0' consists of eth0-3. This is not a
> problem, and works fine.

That is fine, just be sure not to have the bonding specific
things in the sub interface, just have the IP/subnet/device name
(bond0:1 etc).

> For info, 'ifconfig' output shows:
>
> ================================================== ===========
> bond0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Somehow I doubt ifconfig reports your MAC address as xx:xx:xx..

You do realize that your MAC address is useless outside of your
local layer 2 subnet right.

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-September/064541.html

nate

Old 09-18-2008, 05:52 PM
John Horne

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 10:36 -0700, nate wrote:
> John Horne wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a server with 4 NICS running CentOS 5.2. I have bonded the
> > interfaces together such that 'bond0' consists of eth0-3. This is not a
> > problem, and works fine.
>
> That is fine, just be sure not to have the bonding specific
> things in the sub interface, just have the IP/subnet/device name
> (bond0:1 etc).

Yup. Thanks.

> > For info, 'ifconfig' output shows:

> > bond0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
>
> Somehow I doubt ifconfig reports your MAC address as xx:xx:xx..
>
> You do realize that your MAC address is useless outside of your
> local layer 2 subnet right.

Yeah, old habit I guess :-)

John.