Old 12-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Steve Snyder

Default How prevent loading of audio driver at boot?

CentOS v5.1 insists on loading about a dozen audio-related drivers at boot
time. Since this is a server machine, it will never run applications
that require sound output.

I tried setting "alias snd_cs46xx off" in modprobe.conf. Yet the system
still loads that driver and the many, many other audio drivers that go
with it.

How can I disable the loading of audio drivers at boot time?

Thanks.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Kay Diederichs

Steve Snyder schrieb:
CentOS v5.1 insists on loading about a dozen audio-related drivers at boot
time. Since this is a server machine, it will never run applications
that require sound output.

I tried setting "alias snd_cs46xx off" in modprobe.conf. Yet the system
still loads that driver and the many, many other audio drivers that go
with it.

How can I disable the loading of audio drivers at boot time?

Thanks.

I think you can insert the driver(s) into /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

HTH,
Kay

Old 12-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Josh

On Dec 10, 2007 7:14 AM, Steve Snyder <swsnyder@insightbb.com> wrote:
> CentOS v5.1 insists on loading about a dozen audio-related drivers at boot
> time. Since this is a server machine, it will never run applications
> that require sound output.
>
> I tried setting "alias snd_cs46xx off" in modprobe.conf. Yet the system
> still loads that driver and the many, many other audio drivers that go
> with it.
>
> How can I disable the loading of audio drivers at boot time?
>
> Thanks.

Onboard soundcard (i.e. built into the motherboard)? If so, go into
your BIOS of the motherboard and disable the onboard network card,
along with any other ports or devices you do not use or want loading
in CentOS. Once you reboot, the hardware and associated will be
removed, I believe.