Old 09-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Andrew Allen

Default Installing & activating mysql in CentOS 5

I want to set up a local mysql server + client (preferably graphical, ie
mysqlgui) so have yum installed both perl-DBI and mysql.i386, both
apparently successfully. However, I can't see what to do next to get
mysqld running, as it doesn't appear in the list of services
(in /etc/init.d/). Help appreciated please - is there any good specific
documentation on this anywhere? Also, what's the current opinion/advice
on a graphical user interface for mysql please?

Andy

Old 09-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Pintér Tibor

Andrew Allen wrote:

I want to set up a local mysql server + client (preferably graphical, ie
mysqlgui) so have yum installed both perl-DBI and mysql.i386, both
apparently successfully. However, I can't see what to do next to get
mysqld running, as it doesn't appear in the list of services
(in /etc/init.d/). Help appreciated please - is there any good specific
documentation on this anywhere? Also, what's the current opinion/advice
on a graphical user interface for mysql please?

how about trying mysql-server?

Old 09-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Steve Huff

documentation on this anywhere? Also, what's the current opinion/
advice

on a graphical user interface for mysql please?

it's hard to go wrong with phpMyAdmin (http://www.phpmyadmin.net/),
which you can get from RPMforge.

-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v

Old 09-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Steve Huff wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2008, at 9:52 AM, Andrew Allen wrote:
>
>> documentation on this anywhere? Also, what's the current opinion/
>> advice
>> on a graphical user interface for mysql please?
>
> it's hard to go wrong with phpMyAdmin (http://www.phpmyadmin.net/),
> which you can get from RPMforge.

Even that won't work without installing the server component of mysql,
which is in the mysql-server package. And giving the security track
record of phpMyAdmin, I'd rather stay away from that.

There is some graphical mysqladmin tool, but I cannot remember its name

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 09-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Rob Taylor

> Steve Huff wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 17, 2008, at 9:52 AM, Andrew Allen wrote:
>>
>>> documentation on this anywhere? Also, what's the current opinion/
>>> advice
>>> on a graphical user interface for mysql please?
>>
>> it's hard to go wrong with phpMyAdmin (http://www.phpmyadmin.net/),
>> which you can get from RPMforge.
>
> Even that won't work without installing the server component of mysql,
> which is in the mysql-server package. And giving the security track
> record of phpMyAdmin, I'd rather stay away from that.
>
> There is some graphical mysqladmin tool, but I cannot remember its name
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ralph

I would also say to stay away from PHPMyAdmin because of the security issues, I would recommend:

<http://www.webyog.com/en/>

-Or-

<http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html>

Thanks
Rob

Old 09-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Niki Kovacs

Andrew Allen a écrit :

I want to set up a local mysql server + client (preferably graphical, ie
mysqlgui) so have yum installed both perl-DBI and mysql.i386, both
apparently successfully. However, I can't see what to do next to get
mysqld running, as it doesn't appear in the list of services
(in /etc/init.d/). Help appreciated please - is there any good specific
documentation on this anywhere?

Setting up MySQL in a nutshell. It's in French, but the Linux bits are
universal:

http://www.microlinux.fr/article.php3?id_article=43

> Also, what's the current opinion/advice

on a graphical user interface for mysql please?

Unprintable )

Cheers,

Niki

Old 09-17-2008, 05:16 PM
MHR

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 8:06 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:

> Unprintable )

Oh, I don't know - if you say it in French, only a few of us will
understand (and we'll get a good laugh out of it, too!).

Give it a shot!

;^)

Au revoir,

mhr

Old 09-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Niki Kovacs

MHR a écrit :

Oh, I don't know - if you say it in French, only a few of us will
understand (and we'll get a good laugh out of it, too!).

Give it a shot!

Graphical frontends for MySQL?

Saloperie de bordel à cul de pompe à merde.

Was I graphical enough?

)

Niki

PS: My wife's boss, who is a faithful Christian from Marseilles, uses to
yell "Sainte-Pépone de la désolation!" on similar occasions. Which is
way less offensive language.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:17 PM
MHR

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:

> Graphical frontends for MySQL?
>
> Saloperie de bordel à cul de pompe à merde.
>
> Was I graphical enough?

Bien sur! ROTFLMAO!

> PS: My wife's boss, who is a faithful Christian from Marseilles, uses to
> yell "Sainte-Pépone de la désolation!" on similar occasions. Which is way
> less offensive language.

And just as funny!

Have you ever seen the English subtitled version of "La Cage Aux
Folles?" It was rated PG, I think (snicker).

mhr

Old 09-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Niki Kovacs

MHR a écrit :

Have you ever seen the English subtitled version of "La Cage Aux
Folles?" It was rated PG, I think (snicker).

When Pulp Fiction came out, I saw it in a small cinema in Montpellier,
in english with French subtitles. There's a scene where Bruce Willis is
yelling:

- Jesus Christ!

And the french subtitle for that exclamation:

- Bordel de merde!

</wayofftopic>