Old 09-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Craig White

Default buying the right cpu fan

(I sent this yesterday but it never made it through)

I've got a remote system where I think I need to replace the CPU fan.

in the output of dmidecode, I get...

Processor Information
Socket Designation: CPU 1
Type: Central Processor
Family: <OUT OF SPEC>
Manufacturer: Intel
ID: 47 0F 00 00 FF FB EB BF
Version: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz
Voltage: 1.4 V
External Clock: 133 MHz
Max Speed: 2666 MHz
Current Speed: 2666 MHz

is this enough to tell me what kind of fan I need to get? It's obvious
it's a Pentium IV.

What other command/what other command might I be able to run to parse in
order to get information so I get the right CPU fan?

Craig

Old 09-16-2008, 06:00 PM
"nate"

Craig White wrote:
> (I sent this yesterday but it never made it through)

yes it did, check the archives for the responses.

nate

Old 09-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Craig White wrote:

(I sent this yesterday but it never made it through)

I've got a remote system where I think I need to replace the CPU fan.

Go to geeks.com or tigerdirect.com customer service and they can
probably get you the right fan if you give them the computer make and
model....

Old 09-16-2008, 10:51 PM
MHR

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> (I sent this yesterday but it never made it through)
>
> I've got a remote system where I think I need to replace the CPU fan.

Then why do I get the feeling that it is still Monday? Or the
foreboding sense of deja vu?

;^)

It was here, and answered, yesterday - look it up.

mhr

Old 09-16-2008, 11:05 PM
Scott Silva

on 9-16-2008 10:51 AM Craig White spake the following:

(I sent this yesterday but it never made it through)

I've got a remote system where I think I need to replace the CPU fan.

in the output of dmidecode, I get...

Processor Information
Socket Designation: CPU 1
Type: Central Processor
Family: <OUT OF SPEC>
Manufacturer: Intel
ID: 47 0F 00 00 FF FB EB BF
Version: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz
Voltage: 1.4 V
External Clock: 133 MHz
Max Speed: 2666 MHz
Current Speed: 2666 MHz

is this enough to tell me what kind of fan I need to get? It's obvious
it's a Pentium IV.

What other command/what other command might I be able to run to parse in
order to get information so I get the right CPU fan?

Craig

Is this the only info you have?

No manufacturer? Model? Anything else?

As far as my Google can see Pentium D's came in Socket 775, but that isn't
enough info to get the "right fan", it is only enough to get a possible
working fan. The proper fan will depend on the case size and type, and also
the manufacturer if it is a name brand system.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 09-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Craig White

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 16:05 -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
> on 9-16-2008 10:51 AM Craig White spake the following:
> > (I sent this yesterday but it never made it through)
> >
> > I've got a remote system where I think I need to replace the CPU fan.
> >
> > in the output of dmidecode, I get...
> >
> > Processor Information
> > Socket Designation: CPU 1
> > Type: Central Processor
> > Family: <OUT OF SPEC>
> > Manufacturer: Intel
> > ID: 47 0F 00 00 FF FB EB BF
> > Version: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz
> > Voltage: 1.4 V
> > External Clock: 133 MHz
> > Max Speed: 2666 MHz
> > Current Speed: 2666 MHz
> >
> > is this enough to tell me what kind of fan I need to get? It's obvious
> > it's a Pentium IV.
> >
> > What other command/what other command might I be able to run to parse in
> > order to get information so I get the right CPU fan?
> >
> > Craig
> Is this the only info you have?
>
> No manufacturer? Model? Anything else?
>

> As far as my Google can see Pentium D's came in Socket 775, but that isn't
> enough info to get the "right fan", it is only enough to get a possible
> working fan. The proper fan will depend on the case size and type, and also
> the manufacturer if it is a name brand system.
----
the motherboard (ECS-945GCT-M) says that it's a socket 775 too. I hope
that I'm good to go. Thanks

Craig

Old 09-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Scott Silva

on 9-16-2008 4:33 PM Craig White spake the following:

[...]

Looks like a desktop board, so any LGA775 cooling system should fit unless the
case is very small.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:42 PM
John R Pierce

Craig White wrote:

the motherboard (ECS-945GCT-M) says that it's a socket 775 too. I hope
that I'm good to go. Thanks

now you just need to know what sort of case its in. thats a
desktop board, so its probably NOT in a 1U/2U rack case where special
heatsinks would be requiired, and the fans likely would be seperate from
the heatsinks...

eeeew, a ECS desktop motherboard in a server (presumably this 'remote
system' is a server of some sort?)

Old 09-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Nifty Cluster Mitch

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 03:51:17PM -0700, MHR wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> > (I sent this yesterday but it never made it through)
> >
> > I've got a remote system where I think I need to replace the CPU fan.
> >

> Then why do I get the feeling that it is still Monday? Or the
> foreboding sense of deja vu?
>
> ;^)
>
> It was here, and answered, yesterday - look it up.

It was answered....

One addition to the answer is to inspect "dmidecode" output.
It is possible that there is enough vendor info (including serial numbers)
to communicate with the vendor for the correct replacement part.

--
T o m M i t c h e l l
Found me a new hat, now what?