Old 09-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Niki Kovacs

Default Picasa vs. native photo management apps

Hi,

I'm running a small business (http://www.microlinux.fr) offering various
services around GNU/Linux, among which migrating folks from Windows to
Linux. On server and desktops, I'm using CentOS exclusively. I know,
Fedora would be more suitable, but I like the solidity of CentOS, and I
can always build the odd missing bits myself from Fedora SRPMS. My
heavily customized CentOS-based desktop is very solid and
production-proof (in use in all the public libraries around here).

One request that I got more often lately is Google Picasa. I vaguely
remember having downloaded and installed it once. As far as I know, it's
a closed-source Windows app that comes with a WINE emulation layer. Not
exactly the open source spirit.

As far as I'm concerned, I manage all my photos with some very basic
tools: GThumb, Nautilus, GIMP, and that's it.

Are there some tasks one performs with Picasa that one can't perform
with these native programs? Or is there some other well-made photo
management software that you can recommend as a replacement for Picasa?

Cheers,

Niki Kovacs

Old 09-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Are there some tasks one performs with Picasa that one can't perform
> with these native programs? Or is there some other well-made photo
> management software that you can recommend as a replacement for Picasa?

f-spot <http://f-spot.org/Main_Page> is rather nice, but needs mono and
a halfways current Gnome. And then there is digikam (IIRC) in kde.

And yes, those programs (as picasa) do a rather good job of *managing*
pictures, which isn't too easy to do with g-thumb and other programs
like that.

Ralph

Old 09-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Veiko Kukk

Niki Kovacs wrote:

Are there some tasks one performs with Picasa that one can't perform
with these native programs?

Yes and no. Picasa binds together several functions that would otherwise
require several different programs and that might confuse dumbusers.
For example, you can bacup of your photos directly with Picasa by
writing them on CD/DVD, make web galleries, make gift CD/DVD-s, make
easily basic photo editing (cropping, redeye, balance).

Or is there some other well-made photo
management software that you can recommend as a replacement for Picasa?

Haven't met yet. Google makes quite unique apps.

--
Veiko

Old 09-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Veiko Kukk wrote:
> Haven't met yet. Google makes quite unique apps.

s/make/buys/ in that case.

Ralph

Old 09-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Niki Kovacs wrote:
> > Are there some tasks one performs with Picasa that one can't perform
> > with these native programs? Or is there some other well-made photo
> > management software that you can recommend as a replacement for Picasa?
>
> f-spot <http://f-spot.org/Main_Page> is rather nice, but needs mono and
> a halfways current Gnome. And then there is digikam (IIRC) in kde.

Actually you should be able to build f-spot with the mono and
gtk-sharp2 stuff which is in the centos extras repository:

<http://f-spot.org/How_To_Build_from_Release>

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 09-16-2008, 03:42 PM
John R Pierce

Niki Kovacs wrote:
Are there some tasks one performs with Picasa that one can't perform
with these native programs? Or is there some other well-made photo
management software that you can recommend as a replacement for Picasa?

Picasa makes managing webalbums on http://picasa.google.com/ really
really easy. thats its main function. everything else is icing.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Niki Kovacs

John R Pierce a écrit :

Picasa makes managing webalbums on http://picasa.google.com/ really
really easy. thats its main function. everything else is icing.

Looks like peeking at other apps makes me discover the ones I've got. I
just fiddled around with GThumb and discovered a truly great web album
utility.

Guess I'll try and persuade my clients to rather go for the 100%
GNU/Linux solution: GThumb + GIMP.

I'm rather tools-philosophy oriented. When teaching new users, I try to
make them understand the importance of that. It's like not buying a TV
that has also a VCR and a washing machine included.

Thanks everybody for your contributions!

Niki

Old 09-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 11:41 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running a small business (http://www.microlinux.fr) offering various
> services around GNU/Linux, among which migrating folks from Windows to
> Linux. On server and desktops, I'm using CentOS exclusively. I know,
> Fedora would be more suitable, but I like the solidity of CentOS, and I
> can always build the odd missing bits myself from Fedora SRPMS.

I wouldn't count Fedora is suitable for anyone new to Linux. Heck, I
wouldn't even recommend it to any one with high blood pressure. At
all.

But, I do agree with rebuilding packages to CentOS from SRPMs. My life
is a lot more settled and productive using and learning to use CentOS.
My two cents. Ric

https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339

Old 09-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 11:41 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:

> One request that I got more often lately is Google Picasa. I vaguely
> remember having downloaded and installed it once. As far as I know, it's
> a closed-source Windows app that comes with a WINE emulation layer. Not
> exactly the open source spirit.

I just bounced into my Kubuntu install to check, as they have everything
but the kitchen sink to dnload and install. Nada ...came up empty there.
Looks like no hope for anything in binary form to install that is used
in the wide Debian Universe. Ric

https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339

Old 09-16-2008, 09:32 PM