Old 10-31-2008, 06:38 PM
Anne Wilson

Default Picasa vs. native photo management apps

On Friday 31 October 2008 19:26:20 Glenn wrote:
> At 02:57 PM 10/31/2008, you wrote:
> >I recommend taking a good look at Digicam. For the types of tasks
> >listed above, its very good and fairly easy. It also supports bulk
> >processing, tagging images, etc.
> >
> >Its part image database and part image manipulator.
>
> Link? Please? Digicam gives too many hits on search engine even with
> refining the search.
> (Lurking and inquisitive)

I think that 'digikam' was the intention. I'm not able to get to my centos
box at the moment to check, but digikam is included in most distros.

Anne

Old 10-31-2008, 06:50 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Anne Wilson
<cannewilson@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 31 October 2008 19:26:20 Glenn wrote:
>> At 02:57 PM 10/31/2008, you wrote:
>> >I recommend taking a good look at Digicam. For the types of tasks
>> >listed above, its very good and fairly easy. It also supports bulk
>> >processing, tagging images, etc.
>> >
>> >Its part image database and part image manipulator.
>>
>> Link? Please? Digicam gives too many hits on search engine even with
>> refining the search.
>> (Lurking and inquisitive)
>>
> I think that 'digikam' was the intention. I'm not able to get to my centos
> box at the moment to check, but digikam is included in most distros.

I've been using digikam from the kbs-Testing repository.
http://centos.karan.org/

Akemi

Old 11-01-2008, 01:24 AM
"Lanny Marcus"

Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 4:41 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:
<snip>
> One request that I got more often lately is Google Picasa. I vaguely
> remember having downloaded and installed it once. As far as I know, it's a
> closed-source Windows app that comes with a WINE emulation layer. Not
> exactly the open source spirit.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, I manage all my photos with some very basic tools:
> GThumb, Nautilus, GIMP, and that's it.
>
> Are there some tasks one performs with Picasa that one can't perform with
> these native programs? Or is there some other well-made photo management
> software that you can recommend as a replacement for Picasa?

A follow on to my previous responses, regarding Google's Picasa for
Linux. My wife has been using M$ Windows recently. I asked her to help
me with some photos, on my box, using Picasa. She had *NO* idea she
was using Picasa on Linux, until I asked her if there were any
differences, between the application she uses on Windows, and the one
on Linux. She thought she was using Picasa on Windows, until I pointed
out that it was running on Linux.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:50 PM
"Michael Semcheski"

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Glenn <centos@1bigadmin.biz> wrote:
> At 02:57 PM 10/31/2008, you wrote:
>
> I recommend taking a good look at Digicam. For the types of tasks
> listed above, its very good and fairly easy. It also supports bulk
> processing, tagging images, etc.
>
> Its part image database and part image manipulator.
>
> Link? Please? Digicam gives too many hits on search engine even with
> refining the search.
> (Lurking and inquisitive)

Sorry, I did mean Digikam. As you might imply from the k substituting
for the c, its a KDE application (although it works fine in a gnome
environment.)

www.digikam.org

Old 11-02-2008, 06:57 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Michael Semcheski
<mhsemcheski@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Glenn <centos@1bigadmin.biz> wrote:
>> At 02:57 PM 10/31/2008, you wrote:
>>
>> I recommend taking a good look at Digicam. For the types of tasks
>> listed above, its very good and fairly easy. It also supports bulk
>> processing, tagging images, etc.
>>
>> Its part image database and part image manipulator.
>>
>> Link? Please? Digicam gives too many hits on search engine even with
>> refining the search.
>> (Lurking and inquisitive)
>
> Sorry, I did mean Digikam. As you might imply from the k substituting
> for the c, its a KDE application (although it works fine in a gnome
> environment.)
>
> www.digikam.org

Michael: Thank you. I will look into Digikam. At first, I thought
(assumed) the camcorder we were going to get was MiniDV, but, it uses
mini DVDs. So, I just removed kino and Cinelerra looks like it has a
learning curve and no online help. I will look into Digikam. Lanny

Old 11-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Rainer Duffner

Am 02.11.2008 um 20:57 schrieb Lanny Marcus:

[...]

I have a co-worker who also has such a camcorder.
He hates it;-)
Because to edit these films, you've basically got to re-rip these
DVDs....

Rainer

Old 11-02-2008, 11:24 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de> wrote:
<snip>
>>> Sorry, I did mean Digikam. As you might imply from the k substituting
>>> for the c, its a KDE application (although it works fine in a gnome
>>> environment.)
>>>
>>> www.digikam.org
>>
>> Michael: Thank you. I will look into Digikam. At first, I thought
>> (assumed) the camcorder we were going to get was MiniDV, but, it uses
>> mini DVDs.
>
> I have a co-worker who also has such a camcorder.
> He hates it;-)
> Because to edit these films, you've basically got to re-rip these DVDs....

I hope our luck with the mini DVD camcorder will be better!