FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default Picasa vs. native photo management apps

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 14:32 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 11:41 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> >
> >
> >> One request that I got more often lately is Google Picasa. I vaguely
> >> remember having downloaded and installed it once. As far as I know, it's
> >> a closed-source Windows app that comes with a WINE emulation layer. Not
> >> exactly the open source spirit.
> >>
> >
> > I just bounced into my Kubuntu install to check, as they have everything
> > but the kitchen sink to dnload and install. Nada ...came up empty there.
> > Looks like no hope for anything in binary form to install that is used
> > in the wide Debian Universe. Ric
> >
>
> http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/ubuntu704.html
> http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/apt.html

That worked like a charm. I am impressed that Google has this. Thanks!
Ric

----------------------------------------------------
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256 Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Craig White
 
Default Picasa vs. native photo management apps

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 17:48 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 14:32 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> > Ric Moore wrote:
> > > On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 11:41 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > >> One request that I got more often lately is Google Picasa. I vaguely
> > >> remember having downloaded and installed it once. As far as I know, it's
> > >> a closed-source Windows app that comes with a WINE emulation layer. Not
> > >> exactly the open source spirit.
> > >>
> > >
> > > I just bounced into my Kubuntu install to check, as they have everything
> > > but the kitchen sink to dnload and install. Nada ...came up empty there.
> > > Looks like no hope for anything in binary form to install that is used
> > > in the wide Debian Universe. Ric
> > >
> >
> > http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/ubuntu704.html
> > http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/apt.html
>
> That worked like a charm. I am impressed that Google has this. Thanks!
----
google is one of the biggest supporters of Linux, you shouldn't be
surprised at all.

Craig

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 AM
"Lanny Marcus"
 
Default Picasa vs. native photo management apps

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:
> John R Pierce a écrit :
>>
>> Picasa makes managing webalbums on http://picasa.google.com/ really
>> really easy. thats its main function. everything else is icing.
>>
> Looks like peeking at other apps makes me discover the ones I've got. I just
> fiddled around with GThumb and discovered a truly great web album utility.
>
> Guess I'll try and persuade my clients to rather go for the 100% GNU/Linux
> solution: GThumb + GIMP.

The GIMP probably is going to require a very *long* learning curve. It
has the power of
Adobe Photoshop and may not be something casual users are going to want
to take the time to learn. I like GThumb and I use it most of the time
for simple things. My wife has tried a bunch of applications
and she likes Picasa and that's what she uses now. As I recall, on Linux,
Picasa does install with a slimmed down version of WINE that Google
supplies with it.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Niki Kovacs
 
Default Picasa vs. native photo management apps

Lanny Marcus a écrit :


The GIMP probably is going to require a very *long* learning curve. It
has the power of
Adobe Photoshop and may not be something casual users are going to want
to take the time to learn.


Admittedly. But more in the sense of learning a few very basic steps
that everybody needs to know:


- photo redimensioning
- slimming them down (bytewise)
- turning a color photograph into black and white
- some basic effects (one-click, included)


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Ric Moore
 
Default Picasa vs. native photo management apps

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 16:31 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 17:48 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 14:32 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> > > Ric Moore wrote:
> > > > On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 11:41 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >> One request that I got more often lately is Google Picasa. I vaguely
> > > >> remember having downloaded and installed it once. As far as I know, it's
> > > >> a closed-source Windows app that comes with a WINE emulation layer. Not
> > > >> exactly the open source spirit.
> > > >>
> > > >
> > > > I just bounced into my Kubuntu install to check, as they have everything
> > > > but the kitchen sink to dnload and install. Nada ...came up empty there.
> > > > Looks like no hope for anything in binary form to install that is used
> > > > in the wide Debian Universe. Ric
> > > >
> > >
> > > http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/ubuntu704.html
> > > http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/apt.html
> >
> > That worked like a charm. I am impressed that Google has this. Thanks!
> ----
> google is one of the biggest supporters of Linux, you shouldn't be
> surprised at all.
No, I wrote impressed. I didn't know that Picasa was a google thing. I
used it before, when I had a static IP and website. I just never put it
into my head that it was Google's. Ric

--
----------------------------------------------------
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256 Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-19-2008, 02:13 AM
Craig White
 
Default Picasa vs. native photo management apps

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 20:58 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 16:31 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 17:48 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > > On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 14:32 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> > > > Ric Moore wrote:
> > > > > On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 11:41 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >> One request that I got more often lately is Google Picasa. I vaguely
> > > > >> remember having downloaded and installed it once. As far as I know, it's
> > > > >> a closed-source Windows app that comes with a WINE emulation layer. Not
> > > > >> exactly the open source spirit.
> > > > >>
> > > > >
> > > > > I just bounced into my Kubuntu install to check, as they have everything
> > > > > but the kitchen sink to dnload and install. Nada ...came up empty there.
> > > > > Looks like no hope for anything in binary form to install that is used
> > > > > in the wide Debian Universe. Ric
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/ubuntu704.html
> > > > http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/apt.html
> > >
> > > That worked like a charm. I am impressed that Google has this. Thanks!
> > ----
> > google is one of the biggest supporters of Linux, you shouldn't be
> > surprised at all.
> No, I wrote impressed. I didn't know that Picasa was a google thing. I
> used it before, when I had a static IP and website. I just never put it
> into my head that it was Google's. Ric
----
as far as I know, the only way to get Picasa is to download it from
Google

Craig

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-19-2008, 04:31 AM
"Lanny Marcus"
 
Default Picasa vs. native photo management apps

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:13 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 20:58 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
<snip>
>> > > > >> One request that I got more often lately is Google Picasa. I vaguely
>> > > > >> remember having downloaded and installed it once. As far as I know, it's
>> > > > >> a closed-source Windows app that comes with a WINE emulation layer. Not
>> > > > >> exactly the open source spirit.
<snip>
>> > > > http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/ubuntu704.html
>> > > > http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/apt.html
>> > >
>> > > That worked like a charm. I am impressed that Google has this. Thanks!
>> > ----
>> > google is one of the biggest supporters of Linux, you shouldn't be
>> > surprised at all.
<snip>
> ----
> as far as I know, the only way to get Picasa is to download it from
> Google

I can't remember if I got Picasa with yum from the Google Repository,
or somewhere else on their web site. This is from
/etc/yum.repos.d/google.repo/

[google]
name=Google - $basearch
baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/rpm/stable/$basearch
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
priority=20
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-19-2008, 02:33 PM
"Michael Semcheski"
 
Default Picasa vs. native photo management apps

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 2:30 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:
>> The GIMP probably is going to require a very *long* learning curve. It
>> has the power of
>> Adobe Photoshop and may not be something casual users are going to want
>> to take the time to learn.
>
> Admittedly. But more in the sense of learning a few very basic steps that
> everybody needs to know:
>
> - photo redimensioning
> - slimming them down (bytewise)
> - turning a color photograph into black and white
> - some basic effects (one-click, included)

I recommend taking a good look at Digicam. For the types of tasks
listed above, its very good and fairly easy. It also supports bulk
processing, tagging images, etc.

Its part image database and part image manipulator.

Mike
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-31-2008, 05:57 PM
"Rob Townley"
 
Default Picasa vs. native photo management apps

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Michael Semcheski <mhsemcheski@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 2:30 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:

>> The GIMP probably is going to require a very *long* learning curve. It

>> has the power of

>> Adobe Photoshop and may not be something casual users are going to want

>> to take the time to learn.

>

> Admittedly. But more in the sense of learning a few very basic steps that

> everybody needs to know:

>

> - photo redimensioning

> - slimming them down (bytewise)

> - turning a color photograph into black and white

> - some basic effects (one-click, included)



I recommend taking a good look at Digicam. *For the types of tasks

listed above, its very good and fairly easy. *It also supports bulk

processing, tagging images, etc.



Its part image database and part image manipulator.



Mike

_______________________________________________

CentOS mailing list

CentOS@centos.org

http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos



don't forget ImageMagick which could be hosted localhost


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-31-2008, 06:26 PM
Glenn
 
Default Picasa vs. native photo management apps

At 02:57 PM 10/31/2008, you wrote:




I recommend taking a good look at Digicam.* For the types of
tasks


listed above, its very good and fairly easy.* It also supports
bulk


processing, tagging images, etc.



Its part image database and part image manipulator.


Link? Please? Digicam gives too many hits on search engine even with
refining the search.

(Lurking and inquisitive)


Thanks,

Glenn

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:59 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org