Old 12-09-2007, 11:37 AM
fred smith

Default KMIDI problem

Hi gang!

Running 5.1 with Gnome as the default desktop, but have installed KDE
too so I can run kde apps.

Kmidi is the default midi player, so if I click on a midi file in firefox
it brings up KMIDI.

KMIDI goes merrily along playing the file, but I get NO SOUND.

My motherboard has built in audio but it's disabled and I"m using an
old Audiopci 128 card which seems to work fine for everything else.
(Why? because it sounds MUCH better than the ac97 junk)

Clues for making midi work?

Thanks!
--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ------------------------ ----
Do you not know? Have you not heard?

Old 12-09-2007, 10:46 PM
fred smith

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 07:37:41AM -0500, fred smith wrote:
> Hi gang!
>
> Running 5.1 with Gnome as the default desktop, but have installed KDE
> too so I can run kde apps.
>
> Kmidi is the default midi player, so if I click on a midi file in firefox
> it brings up KMIDI.

Actually, it's KMID, not KMIDI.

> KMIDI goes merrily along playing the file, but I get NO SOUND.
>
> My motherboard has built in audio but it's disabled and I"m using an
> old Audiopci 128 card which seems to work fine for everything else.
> (Why? because it sounds MUCH better than the ac97 junk)
>
> Clues for making midi work?

Looks as if it may be that KMID expects there to be either hardware
support for midi (which this sound card does not provide--it's
es1371) or a midi-to-something-else converter, such as timidity++
which also isn't present.

Seems strange that the system would install KMID without the other
tools it needs...

Anyway, I don't seem to be able to find a RH5/Centos5-compatible timidity++
build anywywere. I tried recently to build it and gave up with a series of
errors that I didn't have the ambition to work around. Anyone know where
I can find a suitable RPM for Timidity++?

Gracias!

> Thanks!
> --
> ---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ------------------------ ----
> Do you not know? Have you not heard?
> The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.
> He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.
> ----------------------------- Isaiah 40:28 (niv) -----------------------------

While we were still sinners,
Christ died for us.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:56 PM
fred smith

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 06:46:40PM -0500, fred smith wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 07:37:41AM -0500, fred smith wrote:
> > Hi gang!
> >
> > Running 5.1 with Gnome as the default desktop, but have installed KDE
> > too so I can run kde apps.
> >
> > Kmidi is the default midi player, so if I click on a midi file in firefox
> > it brings up KMIDI.
>
> Actually, it's KMID, not KMIDI.
>

> > KMIDI goes merrily along playing the file, but I get NO SOUND.
> >
> > My motherboard has built in audio but it's disabled and I"m using an
> > old Audiopci 128 card which seems to work fine for everything else.
> > (Why? because it sounds MUCH better than the ac97 junk)
> >
> > Clues for making midi work?
>
> Looks as if it may be that KMID expects there to be either hardware
> support for midi (which this sound card does not provide--it's
> es1371) or a midi-to-something-else converter, such as timidity++
> which also isn't present.
>
> Seems strange that the system would install KMID without the other
> tools it needs...
>
> Anyway, I don't seem to be able to find a RH5/Centos5-compatible timidity++
> build anywywere. I tried recently to build it and gave up with a series of
> errors that I didn't have the ambition to work around. Anyone know where
> I can find a suitable RPM for Timidity++?
>
> Gracias!

OK, with a bunch of browsing and head-scratching I got it working. I"ll
document here what I did in case anyone else needs to know.

First of all on a es1371 card there is no midi, and KMID expects some
other agency to provide a MIDI sequencer, either hardware or another
program.

I went back to the Timidity++ I had tried to build before and it built
cleanly (I have no clue why it hadn't worked a few months ago). The various
other postings I had found (in other fora) suggestedusing Timidity as
a midi server by using the commandline: timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100

I tried this, and as you might expect it failed because the vanilla
Timidity++ build doesn't include some of the options you need to do this.
Rerunning the ./configure in timidity++ with these options:

./configure --enable-alsaseq --with-default-output=alsa

gives me the services I need.

Then I could start Timidity as shown above.

once started, fire up KMID, go to SETTINGS | MIDI SETUP and choose one of
the timidity ports. For me port 0 seems to work best (I have no clue what
the others are for).

Configured that way I can play local midi files with KMID.

My next step is to see if it will work when KMID is started by Firefox.
Yes!

NOTE: after installing Timidity++ you'll need a set of "voices", as Timidity
comes with only a minimal set. The INSTALL file in the timidity source
archive tells you places to look for such things. You'll also need to
find or create a timidity config file telling where to find those files.
Luckily I had a set of all those files lying around from a previous
installation.

BTW, I used Timidity++2.13.2.

YMMV!

Good luck!