Old 12-09-2007, 01:31 AM
FTNX

Default perl-File-Temp problem

Where do I find an RPM for perl-File-Temp for Centos 5 that will work? At some
point Perl got upgraded, and perl-File-Temp stopped working, killing
amavisd-new. I've tried different versions, even from a src.rpm, but they
won't install due to a conflict with Perl.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:40 AM
Mark Pryor

--- FTNX <ftnx@ksbase.com> wrote:

> Where do I find an RPM for perl-File-Temp for Centos
> 5 that will work? At some
> point Perl got upgraded, and perl-File-Temp stopped
> working, killing
> amavisd-new. I've tried different versions, even
> from a src.rpm, but they
> won't install due to a conflict with Perl.

Hello,

File::Temp is part of core perl.

root@support tlviewer]# locate File/Temp.pm
/data/mock/centos-5-i386/root/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/File/Temp.pm
/data/mock/centos-5-x86_64/root/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/File/Temp.pm
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/File/Temp.pm

[root@support tlviewer]# perl -M'File::Temp 9999'
File::Temp version 9999 required--this is only version
0.16.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

[root@support tlviewer]# rpm -ql perl | grep Temp.pm
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/File/Temp.pm
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/File/Temp.pm

unless you tried to upgrade it from CPAN, I don't see
how you got out-of-sync.

--
Mark

Old 12-09-2007, 03:25 AM
FTNX

On Saturday 08 December 2007 22:40, Mark Pryor wrote:

> unless you tried to upgrade it from CPAN, I don't see
> how you got out-of-sync.

No. I had to learn the hard way not to use CPAN. I have two Centos 5 machines
that have been updated only with Yum, with the default repos + rpmforge.
They both stopped updating with the same error:

Transaction Check Error:
file /usr/share/man/man3/File::Temp.3pm.gz from install of
perl-File-Temp-0.19-1.el5.rf conflicts with file from package
perl-5.8.8-10.el5_0.2

I started looking for the problem, when amavisd-new failed with an error
pointing to File::Temp.

KS

Old 12-09-2007, 03:47 AM
Mark Pryor

--- FTNX <ftnx@ksbase.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 08 December 2007 22:40, Mark Pryor
> wrote:
>
> > unless you tried to upgrade it from CPAN, I don't
> see
> > how you got out-of-sync.
>
> No. I had to learn the hard way not to use CPAN. I
> have two Centos 5 machines
> that have been updated only with Yum, with the
> default repos + rpmforge.
> They both stopped updating with the same error:
>
> Transaction Check Error:
> file /usr/share/man/man3/File::Temp.3pm.gz from
> install of
> perl-File-Temp-0.19-1.el5.rf conflicts with file
> from package
> perl-5.8.8-10.el5_0.2
>
> I started looking for the problem, when amavisd-new
> failed with an error
> pointing to File::Temp.

Try
#yum remove perl-File-Temp

the first time, hit [N]. If it looks like YUM can
remove it without damaging perl or anything else, then
go ahead and let it do it.

Go look for the perl.src.rpm that matches your version
and extract the core File::Temp and copy it into your
perl tree.

rpm2cpio perl.i386.src.rpm | cpio -ivd
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.x/File/Temp.pm

I have many of the details fudged here, but the
extraction is right. Maybe someone else has a better
idea.

--
Mark

Old 12-09-2007, 01:42 PM
R P Herrold

file /usr/share/man/man3/File::Temp.3pm.gz from install of
perl-File-Temp-0.19-1.el5.rf conflicts with file from package
perl-5.8.8-10.el5_0.2

gee -- I can diagnose from here that a 'rf' [repoforge]
package conflicts with a base CentOS package; yeah; RepoTags
are so useless ... NOT.

-- Russ Herrold

Old 12-09-2007, 04:51 PM
FTNX

On Sunday 09 December 2007 09:42, R P Herrold wrote:

> gee -- I can diagnose from here that a 'rf' [repoforge]
> package conflicts with a base CentOS package; yeah; RepoTags
> are so useless ... NOT.

You must be a politician or a weatherman! They both report well-known
situations over and over again, without having a clue how to fix them, and
even less, willingness to take any action. <sigh>

KS

Old 12-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 12:51 -0500, FTNX wrote:
> On Sunday 09 December 2007 09:42, R P Herrold wrote:
>

> > gee -- I can diagnose from here that a 'rf' [repoforge]
> > package conflicts with a base CentOS package; yeah; RepoTags
> > are so useless ... NOT.
>
> You must be a politician or a weatherman! They both report well-known
> situations over and over again, without having a clue how to fix them, and
> even less, willingness to take any action. <sigh>
----
cue Basia, next song...

cruisin' for bruisin'

Craig

Old 12-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Ftnx wrote on Sat, 8 Dec 2007 23:25:16 -0500:

> Transaction Check Error:
> file /usr/share/man/man3/File::Temp.3pm.gz from install of
> perl-File-Temp-0.19-1.el5.rf conflicts with file from package
> perl-5.8.8-10.el5_0.2

I'm not sure, but I think this means that your *attempted* install of the
rpmforge package fails! (So, this is from your attempt to fix the problem,
it didn't create the problem!)

> I started looking for the problem, when amavisd-new failed with an error
> pointing to File::Temp.

It may not have failed because of the attempted installation above, but
because amavisd-new needs functionality that is not in the core File::Temp,
but only in perl-File-Temp-0.19-1. Coincidentally (?) the very latest
MailScanner also needs the very latest perl-File-Temp ...
AFAIK it is not recommended to replace files from the Perl core package.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 12-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Scott Silva

on 12/10/2007 5:06 AM Kai Schaetzl spake the following:

file /usr/share/man/man3/File::Temp.3pm.gz from install of
perl-File-Temp-0.19-1.el5.rf conflicts with file from package
perl-5.8.8-10.el5_0.2

I'm not sure, but I think this means that your *attempted* install of the
rpmforge package fails! (So, this is from your attempt to fix the problem,
it didn't create the problem!)

I started looking for the problem, when amavisd-new failed with an error
pointing to File::Temp.

It may not have failed because of the attempted installation above, but
because amavisd-new needs functionality that is not in the core File::Temp,

but only in perl-File-Temp-0.19-1. Coincidentally (?) the very latest
MailScanner also needs the very latest perl-File-Temp ...
AFAIK it is not recommended to replace files from the Perl core package.

Kai

This has been a sore spot with some rpm distros. Perl should be packaged as a
core, and all other modules should be just that, modules. The trouble would be
who will define what is the core of perl, and what is modular. Some times you
can only solve these with a rpm --force, rpm --nodeps, or CPAN. And none of
these options are optimal.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and