Old 12-08-2007, 08:24 PM
"Dave"

Default yum freezing when removing old kernel

Hello,
Today i ran a yum update and installed kernel 2.6.18.53.1 from
centosplus. I then rebooted to ensure i was running it. I was and went to
remove the previous kernel and kernel-devel packages v2.6.18.53 also from
centosplus. In both cases yum gets to the running transaction check then
hangs, i don't get any errors it just sits there. I have to manually kill
the yum process to resolve this. This does not happen with any other package
add/removals. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Dave.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:15 PM
"David Evennou"

Hi Dave,

I am experiencing the same problem on two of my systems running CentOS 5. I
get an error message after a long timeout, "could not retrieve mirrorlist".
Please let me know if you find a way around this problem.

Thanks,
David

Old 12-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Karanbir Singh

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave" <dmehler26@woh.rr.com>
Today i ran a yum update and installed kernel 2.6.18.53.1 from
centosplus. I then rebooted to ensure i was running it. I was and went
to remove the previous kernel and kernel-devel packages v2.6.18.53
also from centosplus. In both cases yum gets to the running
transaction check then hangs, i don't get any errors it just sits
there. I have to manually kill the yum process to resolve this. This
does not happen with any other package add/removals. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Dave.

try running yum with -d9, and see if the extra info gives you more info,
something that might help diagnose the issue. For issues such as 'could
not retrieve mirrorlist, I'd suspect a network issue .

Also, try not to top post, it makes it hard to make sense our of what
you are saying and how it relates to the previous email.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:21 PM
"David Evennou"

Hi Karanbir,

Thanks for the tip. Are you using an email reader that you can set to bottom
post automatically?

Thanks,
David

Old 12-10-2007, 12:42 AM
Karanbir Singh

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karanbir Singh" <mail-lists@karan.org>

[...]

I use thunderbird and sometimes mutt, both can bottom post and quote
properly.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:59 AM
Scott Silva

on 12/9/2007 4:21 PM David Evennou spake the following:

Hi Karanbir,

Thanks for the tip. Are you using an email reader that you can set to
bottom post automatically?

Most keyboards have both a page-down key and a down-arrow key. Either one will
work.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 12-10-2007, 02:18 PM
"David Evennou"

on 12/9/2007 4:21 PM David Evennou spake the following:

Hi Karanbir,

Thanks for the tip. Are you using an email reader that you can set to
bottom post automatically?

Most keyboards have both a page-down key and a down-arrow key. Either one
will work.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!

Scott,

I am trying to do this properly and follow the posting rules. Thanks for the
wisecrack!

David

Old 12-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Scott Silva

on 12/10/2007 7:18 AM David Evennou spake the following:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Silva"
<ssilva@sgvwater.com>

on 12/9/2007 4:21 PM David Evennou spake the following:

Hi Karanbir,

Thanks for the tip. Are you using an email reader that you can set to
bottom post automatically?

Most keyboards have both a page-down key and a down-arrow key. Either
one will work.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!

Scott,

I am trying to do this properly and follow the posting rules. Thanks for
the wisecrack!

David
You are the one that answered a "please don't top-post" with a top-post, so I
figured it was fair game. Sorry 8-D

Old 12-10-2007, 07:37 PM
"David Evennou"

[...]

No problem ..... I was looking for a reader that would work with just
"reply" and also remove the text that is automatically inserted from
removed and did not know if that was manually deleted.

Thanks,
David

Old 12-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Scott Silva

on 12/10/2007 12:37 PM David Evennou spake the following:
[...]

I'm using Thunderbird, and it can be set to top-post or bottom-post. I know I
manually trim fluff from messages when I reply, and usually trim the
signature, since it will be added again. It makes a message easier to read,
and if you hold shift and click on your insert point, it is very easy when
thunderbird is set to bottom-post.