Old 08-25-2008, 05:39 AM
"Mad Unix"

Default smartd

last night I checked the log messages on the server Dell PE2950 6xSAS 146G I found the smartd running , I did not request such daemon

[root@PowerEdge1 pons]# tail -f /var/log/messages
Aug 25 08:27:30 PowerEdge1 smartd[8039]: Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/*

Aug 25 08:27:30 PowerEdge1 smartd[8039]: Opened configuration file /etc/smartd.conf
Aug 25 08:27:30 PowerEdge1 smartd[8039]: Configuration file /etc/smartd.conf parsed.
Aug 25 08:27:30 PowerEdge1 smartd[8039]: Device: /dev/sda, opened

Aug 25 08:27:30 PowerEdge1 smartd[8039]: Device: /dev/sda, IE (SMART) not enabled, skip device Try 'smartctl -s on /dev/sda' to turn on SMART features
Aug 25 08:27:30 PowerEdge1 smartd[8039]: Unable to register SCSI device /dev/sda at line 32 of file /etc/smartd.conf

Aug 25 08:27:30 PowerEdge1 smartd[8039]: Device /dev/sda not available
Aug 25 08:27:30 PowerEdge1 smartd[8039]: Monitoring 0 ATA and 0 SCSI devices
Aug 25 08:27:30 PowerEdge1 smartd[8045]: smartd has fork()ed into background mode. New PID=8045.

Aug 25 08:27:31 PowerEdge1 pcscd: winscard.c:304:SCardConnect() Reader E-Gate 0 0 Not Found
How can i disable it, do i really need it on my system ... inputs really appreciated.

Thanks

--

Madunix_at_Gmail
Sysadmin

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers" - Pablo Picasso
"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window." - Steve Wozniak

Old 08-25-2008, 05:48 AM
Frank Cox

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 07:39:39 +0200
Mad Unix <madunix@gmail.com> wrote:

> How can i disable it

You can disable it with chkconfig or through the GUI "services" menu.

> do i really need it on my system

It depends on your requirements. Read up a bit on what it does and make your
own decision from there.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:50 AM
John R Pierce

Mad Unix wrote:
[...]

well, if you configure your disks to enable SMART, it can provide
advance disk failure information. if the disks are on hardware PERC
raid, then you probably cant use SMART, and instead would use whatever
RAID controller monitoring software dell provides...

otherwise,, um, like any service,...

# chkconfig smartd off
# service smartd stop

will disable it from running on the next boot, and stop it now.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Jon Hardcastle

Probably not strictly a Gentoo issue, but as i am running Gentoo I'll see if the collective knowledge here can help me!

I have a strange problem with my server. All the hard drives go to sleep after ~3hrs of inactivity. BUT if they happen to still be asleep when the scheduled smart check takes place you can hear it 'spin up' and just before you know the drive is 'up' smartd decides the drive isn't smart capable and gives up. I get log entries in 'messages' and dmesg and also smartd emails me to tell me the drive isn't smart capable.

You get the same result if you do -a on a sleeping drive... it says the drive isn't capable.. run it again.. and Bob's your uncle. Any clues? Can you vary the time before it tries after a spin up?

-----------------------
N: Jon Hardcastle
E: Jon@eHardcastle.com
'..Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful.'
-----------------------

Old 10-23-2008, 05:10 PM
ert256

[ 23.10.2008 17:14 ], Jon Hardcastle :
> Probably not strictly a Gentoo issue, but as i am running Gentoo I'll see if the collective knowledge here can help me!
>
> I have a strange problem with my server. All the hard drives go to sleep after ~3hrs of inactivity. BUT if they happen to still be asleep when the scheduled smart check takes place you can hear it 'spin up' and just before you know the drive is 'up' smartd decides the drive isn't smart capable and gives up. I get log entries in 'messages' and dmesg and also smartd emails me to tell me the drive isn't smart capable.
>
> You get the same result if you do -a on a sleeping drive... it says the drive isn't capable.. run it again.. and Bob's your uncle. Any clues? Can you vary the time before it tries after a spin up?

If this is a server, why don't you turn auto-sleep off ?
Or maybe you can check out -n option in manual
--
Rafał (ert16) Trójniak
m@il : ert256@gmail.com

Old 10-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Donnerstag 23 Oktober 2008, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
> Probably not strictly a Gentoo issue, but as i am running Gentoo I'll see
> if the collective knowledge here can help me!
>
> I have a strange problem with my server. All the hard drives go to sleep
> after ~3hrs of inactivity. BUT if they happen to still be asleep when the
> scheduled smart check takes place you can hear it 'spin up' and just before
> you know the drive is 'up' smartd decides the drive isn't smart capable and
> gives up. I get log entries in 'messages' and dmesg and also smartd emails
> me to tell me the drive isn't smart capable.
>
> You get the same result if you do -a on a sleeping drive... it says the
> drive isn't capable.. run it again.. and Bob's your uncle. Any clues? Can
> you vary the time before it tries after a spin up?
>
> -----------------------
> N: Jon Hardcastle
> E: Jon@eHardcastle.com
> '..Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are
> fearful.' -----------------------

I am not sure what your problem really is - but why don't you exclude the
drivers in /etc/conf.d/smartd?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Jon Hardcastle

> On Donnerstag 23 Oktober 2008, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
> > Probably not strictly a Gentoo issue, but as i am
> running Gentoo I'll see
> > if the collective knowledge here can help me!
> >
> > I have a strange problem with my server. All the hard
> drives go to sleep
> > after ~3hrs of inactivity. BUT if they happen to still
> be asleep when the
> > scheduled smart check takes place you can hear it
> 'spin up' and just before
> > you know the drive is 'up' smartd decides the
> drive isn't smart capable and
> > gives up. I get log entries in 'messages' and
> dmesg and also smartd emails
> > me to tell me the drive isn't smart capable.
> >
> > You get the same result if you do -a on a sleeping
> drive... it says the
> > drive isn't capable.. run it again.. and Bob's
> your uncle. Any clues? Can
> > you vary the time before it tries after a spin up?
> >
> > -----------------------
> > N: Jon Hardcastle
> > E: Jon@eHardcastle.com
> > '..Be fearful when others are greedy, and be
> greedy when others are
> > fearful.' -----------------------
>
> I am not sure what your problem really is - but why
> don't you exclude the
> drivers in /etc/conf.d/smartd?

It is a server, but i want the drive to power down if they aren't going to be used for a while.. Also the -n option only works for other kinds of checks.. not for scheduled checks. there appears to be no way to exclude drives that are sleeping from scheduled checks.

I want the drives to be checked by smartd also. I just hoped there was a way of getting smartd to wait alittle longer after waking the drive up.

-----------------------

Old 10-24-2008, 12:15 PM
"Dan Wallis"

On 24/10/2008, Jon Hardcastle <jd_hardcastle@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I want the drives to be checked by smartd also. I just hoped there was a way
> of getting smartd to wait alittle longer after waking the drive up.

Could you generate some disk activity on the disk(s) just prior to the
scheduled check(s)? I realise this isn't a solution, but more of a
work-around.

Dan

Old 10-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Jon Hardcastle

> > I want the drives to be checked by smartd also. I just
> hoped there was a way
> > of getting smartd to wait alittle longer after waking
> the drive up.
>
> Could you generate some disk activity on the disk(s) just
> prior to the
> scheduled check(s)? I realise this isn't a solution,
> but more of a
> work-around.
>

> Dan

I did look into this actually.. but haven't made any head-way just yet.

Cheers for the suggestion though.