-   -   Boot CentOS 5 to command line (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/144862-boot-centos-5-command-line.html)

"ABBAS KHAN" 08-18-2008 06:46 PM

Boot CentOS 5 to command line

Hi fellows,

Pretty new to CentOS.
I was trying to find a way to boot CentOS into command prompt instead of GUI (or without loading any services).
Tried using 'Crl+Alt+F1' at the boot process, but, that holds the screen at mounting and doing fstab and doesn't proceed further.

Is there anyother way to boot CentOS into command prompt without using Rescue option from the installation CD?

Thanks.

Best.

Barry Brimer 08-18-2008 06:51 PM

Quoting ABBAS KHAN <bashukhan@gmail.com>:

> Hi fellows,
>
> Pretty new to CentOS.
> I was trying to find a way to boot CentOS into command prompt instead of GUI
> (or without loading any services).
> Tried using 'Crl+Alt+F1' at the boot process, but, that holds the screen at
> mounting and doing fstab and doesn't proceed further.
> Is there anyother way to boot CentOS into command prompt without using
> Rescue option from the installation CD?

Edit the /etc/inittab file and change the line that says:

id:5:initdefault:

id:3:initdefault:

This will tell your system to boot into text mode. If you want to switch while
you are running .. you can type "init 3" to go to text mode and "init 5" to go
to graphical mode. This will need to be done as the root user.

Barry

"Brett Serkez" 08-18-2008 06:53 PM

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 2:46 PM, ABBAS KHAN <bashukhan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi fellows,
>
> Pretty new to CentOS.
> I was trying to find a way to boot CentOS into command prompt instead of GUI
> (or without loading any services).
> Tried using 'Crl+Alt+F1' at the boot process, but, that holds the screen at
> mounting and doing fstab and doesn't proceed further.
> Is there anyother way to boot CentOS into command prompt without using
> Rescue option from the installation CD?

You can change to multi-processing command line mode with 'init 3' and
single user mode with the command 'init 1'. Modes can be changed
dynamically in a running system.

See the file /etc/inittab, it lists all the possible modes, the first
line of this file defines the default mode:

id:5:initdefault:

which defaults to running the GUI at boot, change it to:

id:3:initdefault:

to not run the GUI at boot.

Brett

MHR 08-18-2008 06:53 PM

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM, ABBAS KHAN <bashukhan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi fellows,
>
> Pretty new to CentOS.
> I was trying to find a way to boot CentOS into command prompt instead of GUI
> (or without loading any services).
> Tried using 'Crl+Alt+F1' at the boot process, but, that holds the screen at
> mounting and doing fstab and doesn't proceed further.
> Is there anyother way to boot CentOS into command prompt without using
> Rescue option from the installation CD?

When the grub screen showing which OS it will boot in X seconds comes
up, type <space>, edit the boot line and add a " 3" (with the space
but without the quotes) to the end of the line, and it will come up at
level 3 (no GUI).

mhr

"Michael Peterson" 08-18-2008 06:56 PM

Boot CentOS 5 to command line

Once you boot into GUI you can login as root or login as a
user and
once in a terminal window su - to root and then change the
line in /etc/inittab from
id:5:initdefault:
id:3:initdefault:
*
You can also do init 3 after saving the change to see what
will happen before rebooting.
This will keep the GUI login from being run and boot all
enabled console screens and leave you at a character login.
*
The way to boot without any services as needed is to login
as root or become root with su - once the system
is booted into runlevel 3 or 5 and do init 1 or telinit
1.
This will put the system in single user runlevel and shut
off all services similar to rescue mode.
This would only allow you work from the console until you
changed back to runlevel 3 or 5.
*

Bobby 08-18-2008 07:33 PM

On Monday 18 August 2008 14:46:22 ABBAS KHAN wrote:
> Hi fellows,
>
> Pretty new to CentOS.
> I was trying to find a way to boot CentOS into command prompt instead of
> GUI (or without loading any services).
> Tried using 'Crl+Alt+F1' at the boot process, but, that holds the screen at
> mounting and doing fstab and doesn't proceed further.
> Is there anyother way to boot CentOS into command prompt without using
> Rescue option from the installation CD?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best.

Then there is the temporary method for when you forget the passwd. Or simply
want to get into single user mode. Which is to add the word single to the
kernel boot line (if you are using GRUB boot loader, which is default in
CentOS).

When GRUB appears press any key to stop the automatic countdown.
Select the kernel to boot from and press e for edit.
Then cursor down to the line that starts with kernel (usually the 2nd line),
and press e to edit that line. Go to the end of the line and add a space and
the word single.
Press Enter to accept your change, and b to boot.
It will now boot with your change.

Please note, since we did not actually alter the config file it will not
retain this change at any subsequent boots.

--

Bobby

Ian Blackwell 08-18-2008 10:48 PM

Barry Brimer wrote:

id:3:initdefault:

This will tell your system to boot into text mode. If you want to switch while
you are running .. you can type "init 3" to go to text mode and "init 5" to go
to graphical mode. This will need to be done as the root user.

The obligatory warning:-

Run level 3 may have different services loaded than run level 5.* Study
the output from "chkconfig --list" on your server to see what
services are started in each run level.

E.g.:-

[root@zaphod ~]# chkconfig --list

nfslock******** 0:off** 1:off** 2:off** 3:on*** 4:on*** 5:on*** 6:off