Old 08-13-2008, 04:40 PM
James Pearson

Default ?

I have a third party application that I want to run a CentOS4 box that
is expecting to access the generic SCSI devices through /dev/sga,
/dev/sgb, etc. However, the devices set up by udev are /dev/sg0,
/dev/sg1 etc.

Does anyone know what syntax I could use to create a udev rule that
creates symlinks sga -> sg0 etc. for each sg[0-N] device?

Thanks

James Pearson

Old 08-13-2008, 05:04 PM
John R Pierce

James Pearson wrote:
I have a third party application that I want to run a CentOS4 box that
is expecting to access the generic SCSI devices through /dev/sga,
/dev/sgb, etc. However, the devices set up by udev are /dev/sg0,
/dev/sg1 etc.

just curious, what sort of scsi controller is that? every CentOS 4
system with regular SCSI (or SAS or whatever) that I've seen has created
/dev/sda /dev/sdb, etc... only exceptions I've seen are are things
like Compaq/HP SmartArray controllers that use /dev/cciss/c0d0

Old 08-13-2008, 09:41 PM
James Pearson

John R Pierce wrote:

James Pearson wrote:
I have a third party application that I want to run a CentOS4 box that
is expecting to access the generic SCSI devices through /dev/sga,
/dev/sgb, etc. However, the devices set up by udev are /dev/sg0,
/dev/sg1 etc.

just curious, what sort of scsi controller is that? every CentOS 4
system with regular SCSI (or SAS or whatever) that I've seen has created
/dev/sda /dev/sdb, etc... only exceptions I've seen are are things
like Compaq/HP SmartArray controllers that use /dev/cciss/c0d0

Unfortunately, a typo crept into the subject line (which I've now
changed) ...

I'm not talking about the block devices (/dev/sda etc) but the generic
SCSI devices using the sg (sg.ko) module - which have /dev entries of
/dev/sg0, /dev/sg1 etc.

James Pearson

Old 11-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Andrea Scarpino

Hi,
I am updating jackbeat, which is orphan, in [extra] and the last
release (0.7.2) needs portaudio from [community]. Still, jackbeat
provides pulseaudio support if it is built with; pulseaudio is in
[community].
This package is orphan, so I think is not a good solution if I update
it and add another orphan package into [extra]. But I can update and
move it to [community] or AUR (pkgstats says 4.47%).
Maybe some TUs is interested.

Opinions?

--
Andrea `bash` Scarpino
Arch Linux Developer

Old 11-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Allan McRae

Andrea Scarpino wrote:

Hi,
I am updating jackbeat, which is orphan, in [extra] and the last
release (0.7.2) needs portaudio from [community]. Still, jackbeat
provides pulseaudio support if it is built with; pulseaudio is in
[community].
This package is orphan, so I think is not a good solution if I update
it and add another orphan package into [extra]. But I can update and
move it to [community] or AUR (pkgstats says 4.47%).
Maybe some TUs is interested.

Opinions?

There is another option... many packages in [extra] have/had requests
opened in the bug-tracker asking for their pulseaudio backend to be
added. Maybe it is time those packages moved to [extra].

Allan

Old 11-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Andrea Scarpino <andrea@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am updating jackbeat, which is orphan, in [extra] and the last
> release (0.7.2) needs portaudio from [community]. Still, jackbeat
> provides pulseaudio support if it is built with; pulseaudio is in
> [community].
> This package is orphan, so I think is not a good solution if I update
> it and add another orphan package into [extra]. But I can update and
> move it to [community] or AUR (pkgstats says 4.47%).
> Maybe some TUs is interested.
>
> Opinions?
>
> --
> Andrea `bash` Scarpino
> Arch Linux Developer

If no dev/TU is interested in jackbeat, you should move it to
unsupported, not community.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Giovanni Scafora

2009/11/16, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Andrea Scarpino <andrea@archlinux.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am updating jackbeat, which is orphan, in [extra] and the last
> > release (0.7.2) needs portaudio from [community]. Still, jackbeat
> > provides pulseaudio support if it is built with; pulseaudio is in
> > [community].
> > This package is orphan, so I think is not a good solution if I update
> > it and add another orphan package into [extra]. But I can update and
> > move it to [community] or AUR (pkgstats says 4.47%).
> > Maybe some TUs is interested.
> >
> > Opinions?

I think that you should move it to unsupported.

--
Arch Linux Developer
http://www.archlinux.org

Old 11-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Ionut Biru

On 11/17/2009 01:09 AM, Giovanni Scafora wrote:

2009/11/16, Eric Bélanger<snowmaniscool@gmail.com>:

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Andrea Scarpino<andrea@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am updating jackbeat, which is orphan, in [extra] and the last
> release (0.7.2) needs portaudio from [community]. Still, jackbeat
> provides pulseaudio support if it is built with; pulseaudio is in
> [community].
> This package is orphan, so I think is not a good solution if I update
> it and add another orphan package into [extra]. But I can update and
> move it to [community] or AUR (pkgstats says 4.47%).
> Maybe some TUs is interested.
>
> Opinions?

I think that you should move it to unsupported.

+1

--
Ionut

Old 11-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 18:38, Ionut Biru <biru.ionut@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/17/2009 01:09 AM, Giovanni Scafora wrote:
>>
>> 2009/11/16, Eric Bélanger<snowmaniscool@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Andrea Scarpino<andrea@archlinux.org>
>>> *wrote:
>>> *> *Hi,
>>> *> *I am updating jackbeat, which is orphan, in [extra] and the last
>>> *> *release (0.7.2) needs portaudio from [community]. Still, jackbeat
>>> *> *provides pulseaudio support if it is built with; pulseaudio is in
>>> *> *[community].
>>> *> *This package is orphan, so I think is not a good solution if I update
>>> *> *it and add another orphan package into [extra]. But I can update and
>>> *> *move it to [community] or AUR (pkgstats says 4.47%).
>>> *> *Maybe some TUs is interested.
>>> *>
>>> *> *Opinions?
>>
>> I think that you should move it to unsupported.
>>

> +1
>
> --
> Ionut

+1