Old 09-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Lukas Fleischer

Default ?

On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 06:04:04PM +0400, Sergej Pupykin wrote:
> At Fri, 02 Sep 2011 11:22:02 +0200,
> Laurent Carlier <lordheavym@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > See https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/23929
> >

> It is not issue. This is rather controversial philosophy/architecture
> questions and care about home users (If they forget that libwrap does
> not cover all network applications).
>
> As I understand tcp_wrappers still works fine despite of 14+ years old
> release.

Remember our philosophy... If there's a package in our repositories that
needs tons of patches and isn't developed upstream anymore, we should
always look for alternatives. "Broken" doesn't necessarily mean that
stuff stops working.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:39 AM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

I recently changed away from using courier but as they are server
packages they need close maintenance because they are critical to some
people. I wondered whether any TU would like to take them over? I will
maintain them for some time to come but I might eventually drop them if
they don't get a new TU that actually uses them too.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

On 05/15/2012 08:39 AM, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
> I recently changed away from using courier but as they are server
> packages they need close maintenance because they are critical to some
> people. I wondered whether any TU would like to take them over? I will
> maintain them for some time to come but I might eventually drop them if
> they don't get a new TU that actually uses them too.
I now orphaned this stuff and it will go to AUR the second it breaks.
Feel free to adopt.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Mark Knecht

Hi,
I'm sort of glazing over & falling asleep trying to understand the
Gentoo genkernel Wiki page. This is not critical time-wise. I'm just
curious about what genkernel could do in terms of creating a kernel &
an initramfs for a root partition on RAID > 1 and metadata > 0.9. I've
done this in the past by hand but I've tended to stay away from / on
RAID > 1 simply because of the work of creating and maintaining the
initramfs.

If someone has a gnekernel.conf file that might be of interest I'd
appreciate seeing it, along with how you run it from the command line.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 09-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Michael Mol

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm sort of glazing over & falling asleep trying to understand the
> Gentoo genkernel Wiki page. This is not critical time-wise. I'm just
> curious about what genkernel could do in terms of creating a kernel &
> an initramfs for a root partition on RAID > 1 and metadata > 0.9. I've
> done this in the past by hand but I've tended to stay away from / on
> RAID > 1 simply because of the work of creating and maintaining the
> initramfs.
>
> If someone has a gnekernel.conf file that might be of interest I'd
> appreciate seeing it, along with how you run it from the command line.

I do, but I probably won't have time to sling it your way until this
weekend. Prod me Friday or Saturday if you haven't found your answer
by then. (Good timing, anyway; I've finished configuring my next
kernel, just have to tie it together with genkernel.)
--
:wq

Old 09-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Michael Hampicke

Am 05.09.2012 17:39, schrieb Mark Knecht:
> Hi,
> I'm sort of glazing over & falling asleep trying to understand the
> Gentoo genkernel Wiki page. This is not critical time-wise. I'm just
> curious about what genkernel could do in terms of creating a kernel &
> an initramfs for a root partition on RAID > 1 and metadata > 0.9. I've
> done this in the past by hand but I've tended to stay away from / on
> RAID > 1 simply because of the work of creating and maintaining the
> initramfs.
>
> If someone has a gnekernel.conf file that might be of interest I'd
> appreciate seeing it, along with how you run it from the command line.

This is the config I have been using on systems with / on RAID1 or RAID5
(metadata > 0.9). With genkernel it's pretty simple, just specify these
two lines:

##########
# Includes mdadm/mdmon binaries in initramfs.
# Without sys-fs/mdadm[static] installed, this will build a static mdadm.
MDADM="yes"

# Specify a custom mdadm.conf.
# By default the ramdisk will be built *without* an mdadm.conf and will
auto-detect
# arrays during bootup. Usually, this should not be needed.
MDADM_CONFIG="/etc/mdadm.conf"
##########

Just make sure you're mdadm.conf reflects your current raid setup. If
you don't set MDADM_CONFIG the initramfs should auto asseble the RAID,
but I have never used that. I don't trust it enough

Last thing you need to do is pass the domdadm kernel parameter in your
bootloader. With grub to you just edit /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="domdadm"

Then regenerate your grub config.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Michael Hampicke

> Last thing you need to do is pass the domdadm kernel parameter in your
> bootloader. With grub to you just edit /etc/default/grub
>
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="domdadm"

I meant grub2

Old 10-13-2012, 01:35 AM
Eric Bélanger

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 6:28 AM, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com> wrote:
> On 05/15/2012 08:39 AM, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
>> I recently changed away from using courier but as they are server
>> packages they need close maintenance because they are critical to some
>> people. I wondered whether any TU would like to take them over? I will
>> maintain them for some time to come but I might eventually drop them if
>> they don't get a new TU that actually uses them too.
> I now orphaned this stuff and it will go to AUR the second it breaks.
> Feel free to adopt.

These packages are on the sytemd todo list (missing unit file).
Perhaps this is the time to remove them from the repo?

Old 10-13-2012, 06:32 AM
Tobias Powalowski

Hi guys,

Upstream changes:
http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges

Please report any issues that stops moving this series to [core].
Thanks.

greetings
tpowa
--