-   -   Reloading /etc/hosts (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/137182-reloading-etc-hosts.html)

Robert Moskowitz 08-04-2008 01:43 PM

Reloading /etc/hosts

I am doing some testing and am having to make many changes to /etc/hosts

Is there a way to reload the /etc/hosts file without doing a service
network restart?

I hope that in a while I can run BIND with a bunch of faked-out zone
files (did this once to crack a Vonage PAP2). But for right now, I
cannot introduce BIND to the equation....

Ralph Angenendt 08-04-2008 01:48 PM

Reloading /etc/hosts

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I am doing some testing and am having to make many changes to /etc/hosts
>
> Is there a way to reload the /etc/hosts file without doing a service
> network restart?

That doesn't need to be reloaded *except* if you use the name service
caching daemon (nscd). Then "service nscd reload" might be needed.

Ralph

Toby Bluhm 08-04-2008 01:48 PM

Reloading /etc/hosts

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

I am doing some testing and am having to make many changes to /etc/hosts

Is there a way to reload the /etc/hosts file without doing a service
network restart?

Takes effect immediately. Do you not get the changes right away?

--
Toby Bluhm
Alltech Medical Systems America, Inc.

"nate" 08-04-2008 01:51 PM

Reloading /etc/hosts

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I am doing some testing and am having to make many changes to /etc/hosts
>
> Is there a way to reload the /etc/hosts file without doing a service
> network restart?

There is no need to reload the hosts file, it's read in real time.
Some things like firefox maintain their own host cache though, and
you'll either have to restart it or wait for it's timeout before
the changes take effect.

If your running nscd, you may have to either restart nscd or
run "nscd -i hosts" to invalidate the hosts cache there. nscd
is typically only run on a system that is participating in network
authentication like LDAP.

nate

Robert Moskowitz 08-04-2008 02:16 PM

Reloading /etc/hosts

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

I am doing some testing and am having to make many changes to /etc/hosts

Is there a way to reload the /etc/hosts file without doing a service
network restart?

That doesn't need to be reloaded *except* if you use the name service
caching daemon (nscd). Then "service nscd reload" might be needed.
Probably my memory cells were working off of nscd and I had cached
memories about needing to clear out cache. :)

So I got my mind cache flushed and working with fresh info.

I am at hiit.fi today getting the HIP code working. I will have a
'story' to tell end of the week....