Old 08-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Balaji

Default HP ILO Fence Configuration

Dear All,

Currently i am using HP x6600 Server and I have installed RHEL4 Update
4 AS Linux and

RHEL4 Update 4 Support Cluster Suite in my server
I am new in fence and can any one help me how to configure HP ILO fence
in my server

and HP ILO Fence Functionality

Regards
-S.Balaji

Old 08-04-2008, 06:46 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:52 AM, Balaji <balajisundar@midascomm.com> wrote:
> Currently i am using HP x6600 Server and I have installed RHEL4 Update 4 AS
> Linux and
> RHEL4 Update 4 Support Cluster Suite in my server
> I am new in fence and can any one help me how to configure HP ILO fence in
> my server
> and HP ILO Fence Functionality

Did you consider posting on a Red Hat mailing list? This list is for
CentOS users.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:51 PM
Finnur Örn Guğmundsson

Balaji wrote:

Dear All,

Currently i am using HP x6600 Server and I have installed RHEL4 Update
4 AS Linux and

RHEL4 Update 4 Support Cluster Suite in my server
I am new in fence and can any one help me how to configure HP ILO
fence in my server

and HP ILO Fence Functionality

Regards
-S.Balaji

Hi there,

I would check out the documentation for administering and running RHCS @
RHEL 4:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/csgfs/browse/rh-cs-en/index.html

RHCS comes with a tool, system-config-cluster (And Ricci/Luci on RHEL 5)
that might help you alot in your fencing configuration....it's very easy
to add fence devices for each node (including iLO).

Hope this helps.

Bgrds,
Finnzi

Old 08-05-2008, 04:47 PM
John R Pierce

Balaji wrote:

Dear All,

Currently i am using HP x6600 Server and I have installed RHEL4 Update
4 AS Linux and

RHEL4 Update 4 Support Cluster Suite in my server

if you're using RHEL AS and RH Cluster Suite, you are presumably paying
for Red Hat Support and should be calling them for configuration advise
and assistance.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:49 PM
"Patricio A. Bruna"

Is very Easy.
If you are using system-config-cluster you can do this via the GUI and you'll need to enter the IP, username and password of the ILO.

------------------------------------
Patricio Bruna V.
IT Linux Ltda.
http://www.it-linux.cl

Old 08-05-2008, 09:02 PM
"Paras pradhan"

Currently i am using HP x6600 Server and I have installed RHEL4 Update 4 AS Linux and

RHEL4 Update 4 Support Cluster Suite in my server

if you're using RHEL AS and RH Cluster Suite, you are presumably paying for Red Hat Support and should be calling them for configuration advise and assistance.

What about configuring a cluster without fencing? is it possible? I am about to create a cluster but with out fencing device.

ThanksParas.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:45 PM
John R Pierce

What about configuring a cluster without fencing? is it possible? I am
about to create a cluster but with out fencing device.

Generally its dangerous. if the servers get out of sync and both try
to mount a shared resource, you can end up with corrupted file
systems. since the primary goal of a high availability cluster is,
well, high availability, and increased overall system reliability, these
clusters have to be constructed very carefully or they can cause more
problems than they solve.

what sort of shared resources will this HA cluster have? how is the
shared storage connected ? if its via a iSCSI SAN, you can implement
fencing via either the ethernet switch (tell the switch to drop the
standby server from the iscsi vlan), or via the storage controller (tell
the iscsi target host to disallow LUN access by the current standby
server). If its a fiberchannel SAN you can fence via the SAN switch.