Old 07-29-2008, 08:49 PM
MHR

Default Extended characters not working on CentOS

A friend of mine here at work pointed me at this web page
www.fhlcell.org where there are a lot of Chinese characters on the
page.

Interestingly enough, on my CentOS 5.2 system, with both Seamoneky
1.1.11 and Firefox 3.0, we were unable to get the characters to
display properly (they showed up as the little four number boxes
instead).

However, on his Ubuntu system, using Firefox, they displayed just
fine. Also, I just tested it in Win XP and both Seamonkey 1.1.11 and
IE display it correctly.

What's going on?

mhr

Old 07-29-2008, 09:05 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 13:49 -0700, MHR wrote:
> A friend of mine here at work pointed me at this web page
> www.fhlcell.org where there are a lot of Chinese characters on the
> page.
>
> Interestingly enough, on my CentOS 5.2 system, with both Seamoneky
> 1.1.11 and Firefox 3.0, we were unable to get the characters to
> display properly (they showed up as the little four number boxes
> instead).
>
> However, on his Ubuntu system, using Firefox, they displayed just
> fine. Also, I just tested it in Win XP and both Seamonkey 1.1.11 and
> IE display it correctly.
>
> What's going on?

I presume you need to load extensions that handle the characters. When I
set up FF 3, there were *many* extensions relating to languages.

I can't help beyond that.

--
Bill

Old 07-29-2008, 09:54 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 3:49 PM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> A friend of mine here at work pointed me at this web page
> www.fhlcell.org where there are a lot of Chinese characters on the
> page.
>
> Interestingly enough, on my CentOS 5.2 system, with both Seamoneky
> 1.1.11 and Firefox 3.0, we were unable to get the characters to
> display properly (they showed up as the little four number boxes
> instead).
>
> However, on his Ubuntu system, using Firefox, they displayed just
> fine. Also, I just tested it in Win XP and both Seamonkey 1.1.11 and
> IE display it correctly.
>
> What's going on?

In FF3: Tools > Add Ons > Languages, there are two (2) Language Packs
for Chinese. If you and/or your friend can read Chinese, maybe one of
those will work.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:01 PM
MHR

> In FF3: Tools > Add Ons > Languages, there are two (2) Language Packs
> for Chinese. If you and/or your friend can read Chinese, maybe one of
> those will work.

Already loaded, and no....

Interestingly enough, in Seamonkey, on both Windows and CentOS, the
character encoding shows up as Chinese Traditional (Big 5), but it
just doesn't seem to display properly on CentOS.

???

mhr

Old 07-29-2008, 10:26 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 5:01 PM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:

>> In FF3: Tools > Add Ons > Languages, there are two (2) Language Packs
>> for Chinese. If you and/or your friend can read Chinese, maybe one of
>> those will work.
>
> Already loaded, and no....
>
> Interestingly enough, in Seamonkey, on both Windows and CentOS, the
> character encoding shows up as Chinese Traditional (Big 5), but it
> just doesn't seem to display properly on CentOS.
>
> ???

Hmmm. Getting more interesting. Are you using 65 bit or 32 bit Firefox?

Old 07-29-2008, 10:27 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 5:01 PM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> In FF3: Tools > Add Ons > Languages, there are two (2) Language Packs
>>> for Chinese. If you and/or your friend can read Chinese, maybe one of
>>> those will work.
>>
>> Already loaded, and no....
>>
>> Interestingly enough, in Seamonkey, on both Windows and CentOS, the
>> character encoding shows up as Chinese Traditional (Big 5), but it
>> just doesn't seem to display properly on CentOS.
>>
>> ???
>
> Hmmm. Getting more interesting. Are you using 65 bit or 32 bit Firefox?

Correction: Make that 64 bit or 32 bit? I clicked on Send before I saw my typo.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Mhr wrote on Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:49:36 -0700:

> What's going on?

You need a font that supports this character-set: big5. (View Source, see
meta tags.)

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 07-29-2008, 10:33 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 5:01 PM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:

>> In FF3: Tools > Add Ons > Languages, there are two (2) Language Packs
>> for Chinese. If you and/or your friend can read Chinese, maybe one of
>> those will work.
>
> Already loaded, and no....
>
> Interestingly enough, in Seamonkey, on both Windows and CentOS, the
> character encoding shows up as Chinese Traditional (Big 5), but it
> just doesn't seem to display properly on CentOS.

I just loaded both of the Chinese language pack add ons for FF3 (32
bit) and restarted FF3.. It does not work for me either.
I wonder if there is somewhere that something else needs to be
configured, for this to work on CentOS 5.2?
What are the differences, with respect to other languages, between
Firefox and SeaMonkey? Some configuration setting?

Old 07-29-2008, 11:06 PM
MHR

> Correction: Make that 64 bit or 32 bit? I clicked on Send before I saw my typo.

32 bit here - haven't tried it at home yet....

mhr

Old 07-29-2008, 11:08 PM
MHR

> I just loaded both of the Chinese language pack add ons for FF3 (32
> bit) and restarted FF3.. It does not work for me either.
> I wonder if there is somewhere that something else needs to be
> configured, for this to work on CentOS 5.2?
> What are the differences, with respect to other languages, between
> Firefox and SeaMonkey? Some configuration setting?

I don't know that one....

mhr