Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Ed Westphal

Default Migrating RHEL 3 to Centos 5.2 - has Adaptec 2400a RAID

Greetings all. I'm new to the mailing list. Hope to get to know many
of you. I'll jump right in with a recent project. I have a machine with
RHEL WS 3 - Taroon; plus dual boot to Win 2000 Pro. The RAID card is
Adaptec's 2400A w/128 megs cache, running RAID 10 on 4 WD's. I want to
migrate to 5.2 Centos and wipe the NTFS partition. I have the 5.2 Centos
DVD. Anyone see any problems, special preparation needed, whatever, to
accomplish the migration? The RAID uses dpt_i2o drivers. The NVidia card
can get drivers from their website, if need be to support full
functionality. Please advise with any cautions, considerations, you may
care to give. Thanks in advance.

Ed Westphal

Old 07-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Les Mikesell

Ed Westphal wrote:
Greetings all. I'm new to the mailing list. Hope to get to know many
of you. I'll jump right in with a recent project. I have a machine with
RHEL WS 3 - Taroon; plus dual boot to Win 2000 Pro. The RAID card is
Adaptec's 2400A w/128 megs cache, running RAID 10 on 4 WD's. I want to
migrate to 5.2 Centos and wipe the NTFS partition. I have the 5.2 Centos
DVD. Anyone see any problems, special preparation needed, whatever, to
accomplish the migration? The RAID uses dpt_i2o drivers. The NVidia card
can get drivers from their website, if need be to support full
functionality. Please advise with any cautions, considerations, you may
care to give. Thanks in advance.

I'd recommend doing a backup, re-installing from scratch, then restoring
or reinstalling any old stuff you needed instead of trying an upgrade
(which might work, but you don't know how much old gunk is left). The
exception would be if you have separate partitions with old data you
could keep them and not reformat.

One difference you might see is that in 5.x devices are detected in more
or less random order. If you have more than one NIC, you won't know
ahead of time which will be eth0 - but once configured it will stay
identified by the HWDADDR entry n the config file. Likewise for your
disk drives - sata devices may take /dev/sd? names but mounts will match
the disk labels.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 07-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Scott Silva

on 7-29-2008 11:42 AM Ed Westphal spake the following:
Greetings all. I'm new to the mailing list. Hope to get to know many
of you. I'll jump right in with a recent project. I have a machine with
RHEL WS 3 - Taroon; plus dual boot to Win 2000 Pro. The RAID card is
Adaptec's 2400A w/128 megs cache, running RAID 10 on 4 WD's. I want to
migrate to 5.2 Centos and wipe the NTFS partition. I have the 5.2 Centos
DVD. Anyone see any problems, special preparation needed, whatever, to
accomplish the migration? The RAID uses dpt_i2o drivers. The NVidia card
can get drivers from their website, if need be to support full
functionality. Please advise with any cautions, considerations, you may
care to give. Thanks in advance.

Ed Westphal

You could try the 5.2 live CD and see if it can access the drives.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 07-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Ed Westphal

Many thanks Les. I was hoping I'd hear exactly what you've said. I'll
have to post once I've accomplished. Take care.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Peter Kjellstrom

On Tuesday 29 July 2008, Ed Westphal wrote:
> Greetings all. I'm new to the mailing list. Hope to get to know many
> of you. I'll jump right in with a recent project. I have a machine with
> RHEL WS 3 - Taroon; plus dual boot to Win 2000 Pro. The RAID card is
> Adaptec's 2400A w/128 megs cache, running RAID 10 on 4 WD's. I want to
> migrate to 5.2 Centos and wipe the NTFS partition. I have the 5.2 Centos
> DVD. Anyone see any problems, special preparation needed, whatever, to
> accomplish the migration? The RAID uses dpt_i2o drivers.

I'm not sure modern kernels still has this driver. One way to find out is to
boot the installer to see if it detects your raid card. Another is to try the
live-dvd.

Good luck,
Peter

Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 PM
John R Pierce

Ed Westphal wrote:
Greetings all. I'm new to the mailing list. Hope to get to know
many of you. I'll jump right in with a recent project. I have a
machine with RHEL WS 3 - Taroon; plus dual boot to Win 2000 Pro. The
RAID card is Adaptec's 2400A w/128 megs cache, running RAID 10 on 4
WD's. I want to migrate to 5.2 Centos and wipe the NTFS partition. I
have the 5.2 Centos DVD. Anyone see any problems, special preparation
needed, whatever, to accomplish the migration? The RAID uses dpt_i2o
drivers. The NVidia card can get drivers from their website, if need
be to support full functionality. Please advise with any cautions,
considerations, you may care to give. Thanks in advance.

that card wasn't actually an Adaptec product, it was from DPT, a company
Adaptec bought, then later sank/discarded, so its questionable if theres
much support for it anymore... Its a shame, back in the day, DPT were
much better RAID cards than anything Adaptec themselves had made.