Old 07-29-2008, 06:32 PM
James Pifer

Default syslog question

I have a 64bit centos 5.2 system. My router supports sending logs to a
syslog server, so I was hoping to send them to my centos box so they are
easier to keep an eye on.

I've been googling for howto's etc, but I didn't think syslog would be
that difficult. Do I need to use syslog-ng or can I use the syslog
that's installed with centos 5.2?

Any suggestions or guidance?

Thanks,
James

Old 07-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Bart Baars

Syslog (or rsyslog) will do..

Have a look at /etc/sysconfig/(r)syslog

Cheers,

Bart

Old 07-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Milton Calnek

believed to be clean.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:45 PM
David Mackintosh

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 02:32:19PM -0400, James Pifer wrote:

> Any suggestions or guidance?

By default, your syslog does not accept syslog entries from remote
systems.

Edit /etc/sysconfig/syslog, and add a '-r' parameter to the
SYSLOGD_OPTIONS option, and restart syslog.

--
/oo/
/ /() David Mackintosh |

Old 07-29-2008, 06:46 PM
James Pifer

> James Pifer wrote:
> | I have a 64bit centos 5.2 system. My router supports sending logs to a
> | syslog server, so I was hoping to send them to my centos box so
> they are
> | easier to keep an eye on.
> |

> On your CentOS box, edit /etc/sysconfig/syslog. The comments in the
> file should be sufficient.

Yeah, that was pretty easy. Any way to get it to save logs from
different hosts to specific files?

Thanks,
James

Old 07-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Milton Calnek

believed to be clean.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:57 PM
David Mackintosh

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 02:46:39PM -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> Yeah, that was pretty easy. Any way to get it to save logs from
> different hosts to specific files?

I use syslog-ng for that, I think from rpmforge.

http://wiki.xdroop.com/space/Sun/Syslog-ng

Old 07-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Peter Kjellstrom

On Tuesday 29 July 2008, David Mackintosh wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 02:46:39PM -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> > Yeah, that was pretty easy. Any way to get it to save logs from
> > different hosts to specific files?
>
> I use syslog-ng for that, I think from rpmforge.
>
> http://wiki.xdroop.com/space/Sun/Syslog-ng

Worth noting, rsyslog-2.0.0-11.el5 is in base since CentOS-5.2.

/Peter

Old 07-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Milton Calnek

believed to be clean.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:31 PM
James Pifer

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 12:52 -0600, Milton Calnek wrote:

> James Pifer wrote:
> | Yeah, that was pretty easy. Any way to get it to save logs from
> | different hosts to specific files?
>
> You need rsyslog for that.
> I believe that FC9 has an rpm for it. There are other places to find
> one as well. KB may have one in his repo.

Okay, I have rsyslog running and regular syslog stopped. Also
chkconfig'ed them.

I added this to /etc/rsyslog.conf:
$template DynaFile,"/var/log/system-%HOSTNAME%.log"
*.* -?DynaFile

The log that gets created for my router is called:
system-Tue,.log

So I've been trying to modify it using a different propnames instead of
%HOSTNAME%. So far all I get for a result is:
system-**INVALID PROPERTY NAME**.log

In upper and lower case I've tried:
source
fromhost