Old 07-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Stephen Harris

Default restore

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 05:19:46PM +0200, Mad Unix wrote:
> - The control files has been transfered from AIX5.3 to a Linux Machine !!

This is an Oracle issue and not a CentOS issue.

Please note that, typically, Oracle binary files are not portable between
hardware and OS platforms. When I used to DBA Oracle (Oracle 8; that
long ago) we were told by Oracle that files were not portable (eg between
HPUX and Solaris, or Solaris and Linux).

--

rgds
Stephen

Old 07-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Marc-Andre Levesque

>> - The control files has been transfered from AIX5.3 to a Linux Machine !!
>
>This is an Oracle issue and not a CentOS issue.
>
>Please note that, typically, Oracle binary files are not portable between
>hardware and OS platforms. When I used to DBA Oracle (Oracle 8; that
>long ago) we were told by Oracle that files were not portable (eg between
>HPUX and Solaris, or Solaris and Linux).

This definitely belongs to an Oracle mailing list. However, please look at possible issues between Big/Little Endian architectures. I've seen this when moving between different archs.

MAL