Old 07-29-2008, 03:37 PM
"James B. Byrne"

Default Xdefaults file.

I am trying to get my xterm window under gnome to open with large fonts,
with light green foreground and dark green background. I have the
following .Xdefaults file contents:

$ cat .Xdefaults
! This is a comment ;-)

#ifdef COLOR
*customization: -color
#endif

!! Let's cast a wide net, for any app supporting these
! Blink instead of beeping
*visualBell: True
*scrollTtyOutput: False
*scrollKey: True

XTerm*saveLines: 1500
! Do not clear the screen after the program exits
XTerm*VT100*titeInhibit: true

! Enable soft cut and paste
XTerm*VT100.translations: #override
: select-end(PRIMARY, CLIPBOARD, CUT_BUFFER0)

! Fix up xterm's keybindings
xterm*VT100.translations: #override
<Key>BackSpace: string(0x7F)

<Key>Insert: string(0x1b) string("[2~")

<Key>Delete: string(0x1b) string("[3~")

<Key>Home: string(0x1b) string("[1~")

<Key>End: string(0x1b) string("[4~")

<Key>Page_Up: string(0x1b) string("[5~")

<Key>Page_Down: string(0x1b) string("[6~")

<KeyPress>Prior: scroll-back(1,page)

<KeyPress>Next: scroll-forw(1,page)

! Set xterm defaults
Xterm*background: darkgreen
Xterm*foreground: lightgreen

Xterm*font: 9x15

<--snip

At some point I had the colours displaying correctly but I could not get
the default font to change to large. In an attempt to get Xterm to use
the above file I ran the command:

$ xrdb ~/.Xdefaults

Now when xterm opens I have a black on white display with tiny fonts. I
have to use Xterm in a specific instance because the version of gnome
terminal that ships with CentOS-5 breaks vt102 emulation horribly. I have
already spent way too much time trying to get Xterm and Xdefaults to work
together as they should. I do not understand what it is that I am missing
or doing wrong. Can somebody please point out what is wrong with my
configuration?

I have already read, and reread, the man page.

Thanks,

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

Old 07-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Bill Campbell

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008, James B. Byrne wrote:
>I am trying to get my xterm window under gnome to open with large fonts,
>with light green foreground and dark green background. I have the
>following .Xdefaults file contents:

Rather than use the Xdefaults file, create a ~/XTerm file which
every xterm will read at startup so changes appear immediately.

I'm attaching the one I use which sets large fonts, a red cursor
so that characters show in reverse video, and a few other
goodies.

The XTerm*pointerShape sets the pointer to an arrow which I find
much easier to see than the default.

The XTerm*charClass is a bit of magic that makes left double
clicks highlight full path names, IP addresses, and other useful
things.

The XTerm*ttyModes is effectively stty to set my preferences,
avoiding the DECish ^? DEL instead of ctrl-H backspace as $DEITY
intended.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

We have a two party system and what a party they are giving themselves.
Since 1960 government spending has grown 8 times as fast as the GNP.
!
!!
!! SAMPLE .Xdefaults / app-defaults RESOURCE SPECIFICATIONS FOR XTERM
!!
!
!
!
!!
!! set default tty mode.
!!
!
!XTerm*ttyModes: intr ^? erase ^H kill ^U
!
!
!
!!
!! modify mouse functionality so that "Shift <Btn1Down>" has the same
!! functionality as "<Btn2Down>".
!!
!! The Ctrl<Btn2Down> xterm window menu CANNOT be popped up using
!! Shift Ctrl<Btn1Down>
!!
!
!*VT100*translations: #override
! Shift <Btn1Down>: insert-selection(PRIMARY, CUT_BUFFER0)

! Button1 <Btn3Down>: insert-selection(PRIMARY, CUT_BUFFER0)
!
!*VT100*Scrollbar*translations: #override
! Shift <Btn1Down>: StartScroll(Continuous) MoveThumb() NotifyThumb()

! Shift <Btn1Motion>: MoveThumb() NotifyThumb()

! Button1 <Btn3Down>: StartScroll(Continuous) MoveThumb() NotifyThumb()

! Button1 <Btn3Motion>: MoveThumb() NotifyThumb()
!
!
!
!!
!! menu resources
!!
!
!*SimpleMenu*BackingStore: NotUseful
!*SimpleMenu*menuLabel.font: -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso*-*
!*SimpleMenu*menuLabel.vertSpace: 100
!*SimpleMenu*HorizontalMargins: 16
!*SimpleMenu*Sme.height: 16
!
!*SimpleMenu*Cursor: left_ptr
!*mainMenu.Label: Main Options
!*mainMenu*securekbd*Label: Secure Keyboard
!*mainMenu*allowsends*Label: Allow SendEvents
!*mainMenu*logging*Label: Log to File
!*mainMenu*redraw*Label: Redraw Window
!*mainMenu*suspend*Label: Send STOP Signal
!*mainMenu*continue*Label: Send CONT Signal
!*mainMenu*interrupt*Label: Send INT Signal
!*mainMenu*hangup*Label: Send HUP Signal
!*mainMenu*terminate*Label: Send TERM Signal
!*mainMenu*kill*Label: Send KILL Signal
!*mainMenu*quit*Label: Quit
!
!*vtMenu.Label: VT Options
!*vtMenu*scrollbar*Label: Enable Scrollbar
!*vtMenu*jumpscroll*Label: Enable Jump Scroll
!*vtMenu*reversevideo*Label: Enable Reverse Video
!*vtMenu*autowrap*Label: Enable Auto Wraparound
!*vtMenu*reversewrap*Label: Enable Reverse Wraparound
!*vtMenu*autolinefeed*Label: Enable Auto Linefeed
!*vtMenu*appcursor*Label: Enable Application Cursor Keys
!*vtMenu*appkeypad*Label: Enable Application Keypad
!*vtMenu*scrollkey*Label: Scroll to Bottom on Key Press
!*vtMenu*scrollttyoutput*Label: Scroll to Bottom on Tty Output
!*vtMenu*allow132*Label: Allow 80/132 Column Switching
!*vtMenu*cursesemul*Label: Enable Curses Emulation
!*vtMenu*visualbell*Label: Enable Visual Bell
!*vtMenu*marginbell*Label: Enable Margin Bell
!*vtMenu*altscreen*Label: Show Alternate Screen
!*vtMenu*softreset*Label: Do Soft Reset
!*vtMenu*hardreset*Label: Do Full Reset
!*vtMenu*tekshow*Label: Show Tek Window
!*vtMenu*tekmode*Label: Switch to Tek Mode
!*vtMenu*vthide*Label: Hide VT Window
!
!*fontMenu.Label: VT Fonts
!*fontMenu*fontdefault*Label: Default
!*fontMenu*font1*Label: 6x10
!*VT100*font1: 6x10
!*fontMenu*font2*Label: 6x12
!*VT100*font2: 6x12
!*fontMenu*font3*Label: 9x15
!*VT100*font3: 9x15
!*fontMenu*font4*Label: 10x20
!*VT100*font4: 10x20
!*fontMenu*fontescape*Label: Escape Sequence
!*fontMenu*fontsel*Label: Selection
!!fontescape and fontsel overridden by application
!
!*tekMenu.Label: Tek Options
!*tekMenu*tektextlarge*Label: Large Characters
!*tekMenu*tektext2*Label: #2 Size Characters
!*tekMenu*tektext3*Label: #3 Size Characters
!*tekMenu*tektextsmall*Label: Small Characters
!*tekMenu*tekpage*Label: PAGE
!*tekMenu*tekreset*Label: RESET
!*tekMenu*tekcopy*Label: COPY
!*tekMenu*vtshow*Label: Show VT Window
!*tekMenu*vtmode*Label: Switch to VT Mode
!*tekMenu*tekhide*Label: Hide Tek Window
!
*tek4014*fontLarge: 10x20
*tek4014*font2: 9x15
*tek4014*font3: 6x13
*tek4014*fontSmall: 6x10

XTerm*font: 10x20
XTerm*pointerShape: arrow
XTerm*termName: xterm
XTerm*blink: true
XTerm*loginShell: true
XTerm*scrollBar: true
! XTerm*cursorColor: SlateBlue
XTerm*cursorColor: red3
XTerm*backarrowKeyIsErase: false
!XTerm*termName: xterm-color
XTerm*background: Grey95
!XTerm*background: AntiqueWhite
!XTerm*background: seashell2
!XTerm*background: ivory2

XTerm*charClass: 33:48,37:48,43:48,45-47:48,64:48,126:48,95:48

XTerm*ttyModes: intr ^C erase ^H kill ^U