Old 07-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Default You didn't give me some packages, so now I'm giving you some! R, TexLive, LyX, Gnumeric, etc.

Paul Johnson wrote:
> I do want up-to-date applications that people here actually use, like
> LaTeX, Emacs, R, Gnumeric, and the other ones I can provide. If I
> can't get those from EPEL or rpmforge or wherever, I'm willing to
> build those packages.

EPEL (and CentOS, to a certain point) are a bit reluctant to offer newer
packages of applications which are in the product itself (Emacs, LaTeX
in this case). Yes, I know that there's centosplus and that contains
code where the itching got that strong that someone actually started to
scratch.

There's no real process of getting your packages into CentOS at the
moment, rpmrepo is still "finding itself", so my advice would be to
offer those packages (and maintenance) to rpmforge, which will be in
rpmrepo once that is up. See <https://rpmrepo.org/RPMforge/>. Getting it
in there also will help people with Scientific Linux or other
distributions.

Does that answer some of the questions?

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 07-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Paul Johnson wrote:
> People keep sending me to RPMforge, but apparently you don't go there
> yourselves to see you are sending me nowhere. Follow your advice:
>
> https://rpmrepo.org/RPMforge/
>
> Go to the 2nd section called "Packagers". Click either of these:
>
> Building RPMforge packages
>
> Contributing RPM packages
>
> Both links point to pages that have not yet been created.

Oh, sorry. The answer is in the FAQ

https://rpmrepo.org/RPMforge/FAQ#head-804b9bdf40aaf584aea4dcdf47a8d41a796b1dd0

I hadn't even looked at the rest of the page knowing it was in there.

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 07-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Ralph Angenendt

John R Pierce wrote:
> Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>> Nobody could be aware that you do not know about rpmforge and know your
>> way yourself.
>>
>> -> https://rpmrepo.org/RPMforge/Using
>>
>> We all use it, we (most of us) do not package for it. rpmforge is one
>> of the biggest repos for RHEL, if not the biggest. ...
>

> thats great, but they really ought to fix the certificates on that
> rpmrepo.org site, or stop using https
>
> Secure Connection Failed
> rpmrepo.org uses an invalid security certificate.
> The certificate expired on 07/29/08 12:11 PM.

Oh come on, that's today

I'll require about that on the appropriate mailing list.

Ralph