Old 07-29-2008, 04:40 AM
"Salvador Torres"

Default Change Web Server to another disk in Centos 5.2

Hi,

I’m new to CentOS 5.2 and I want to know how can I
change the /var/www/html directory to another disk. That disk is not even
partitioned. I’ve googled and even searched in centos.org forums and
documentation, and found nothing.

*

I want to have in separate disks CentOS and my web server.

*

Can anybody recommend any CentOS 5.2 book, because every
time I want to find an answer to my questions I spend a lot of time searching
for it in the centos.org website and googling and nothing useful comes up.

*

Thanks

*

*

*

*

Old 07-29-2008, 04:43 AM
"Victor Padro"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:40 PM, Salvador Torres <saltorres@lvcoxmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to CentOS 5.2 and I want to know how can I
change the /var/www/html directory to another disk. That disk is not even
partitioned. I've googled and even searched in centos.org forums and
documentation, and found nothing.

*

I want to have in separate disks CentOS and my web server.

*

Can anybody recommend any CentOS 5.2 book, because every
time I want to find an answer to my questions I spend a lot of time searching
for it in the centos.org website and googling and nothing useful comes up.

*

Thanks

*

*

*

*

The best info you could find is in here: http://www.centos.org/docs/5/

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 07-29-2008, 04:46 AM
"Victor Padro"

Looking more closely on your apache issue, you can take a look in here: http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Deployment_Guide/s2-apache-tips.html

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 07-29-2008, 04:48 AM
"Kuang-Chun Cheng"

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Victor Padro <vpadro@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:40 PM, Salvador Torres <saltorres@lvcoxmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm new to CentOS 5.2 and I want to know how can I change the
>> /var/www/html directory to another disk. That disk is not even partitioned.
>> I've googled and even searched in centos.org forums and documentation, and
>> found nothing.

Check apache's configuration. Change "DocumentRoot" from /var/www/html
to new location you want.

Or simply, move /var/www/html to new disk ... and make a symbolic link
/var/www/html @-> your_new_path

KC

Old 07-29-2008, 04:16 PM
MHR

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Kuang-Chun Cheng <kcc1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Check apache's configuration. Change "DocumentRoot" from /var/www/html
> to new location you want.
>
> Or simply, move /var/www/html to new disk ... and make a symbolic link
> /var/www/html @-> your_new_path

I don't know a lot about apache, but it seems to me that the simplest
solution is to mount your intended target to /var/www and that should
take care of it (provided that you have all the necessary files moved
there as well).

mhr

Old 07-29-2008, 04:33 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:40 PM, Salvador Torres
<saltorres@lvcoxmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to CentOS 5.2 and I want to know how can I change the /var/www/html
> directory to another disk. That disk is not even partitioned. I've googled
> and even searched in centos.org forums and documentation, and found nothing.
>
> I want to have in separate disks CentOS and my web server.
>
> Can anybody recommend any CentOS 5.2 book, because every time I want to find
> an answer to my questions I spend a lot of time searching for it in the
> centos.org website and googling and nothing useful comes up.

In addition to the Documentation that is available to you on
CentOS.org you might
want to consider purchasing a book about Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
CentOS is a binary clone.
There are *very* few differences, between RHEL and CentOS.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:41 PM
John R Pierce

MHR wrote:

Check apache's configuration. Change "DocumentRoot" from /var/www/html
to new location you want.

Or simply, move /var/www/html to new disk ... and make a symbolic link
/var/www/html @-> your_new_path

I don't know a lot about apache, but it seems to me that the simplest
solution is to mount your intended target to /var/www and that should
take care of it (provided that you have all the necessary files moved
there as well).

if you read his original request carefully, you'll note he's got disks
that aren't even partitioned or formatted and he's asking for help with
both storage management AND apache configuration.

I'd suggest he find and hire a systems administrator willing to train
him in basic Linux administration, or to do the work for him

Old 07-29-2008, 05:52 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 11:41 AM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> MHR wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Kuang-Chun Cheng <kcc1967@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Check apache's configuration. Change "DocumentRoot" from /var/www/html
>>> to new location you want.
>>>
>>> Or simply, move /var/www/html to new disk ... and make a symbolic link
>>> /var/www/html @-> your_new_path
>>>

>> I don't know a lot about apache, but it seems to me that the simplest
>> solution is to mount your intended target to /var/www and that should
>> take care of it (provided that you have all the necessary files moved
>> there as well).
>>

> if you read his original request carefully, you'll note he's got disks that
> aren't even partitioned or formatted and he's asking for help with both
> storage management AND apache configuration.
>
> I'd suggest he find and hire a systems administrator willing to train him in
> basic Linux administration, or to do the work for him

Good suggestion.. If his server is connected to the Internet and he
doesn't know how to
begin configuring it, to make it as secure as is possible, someone
will probably take it over.