Old 07-29-2008, 12:58 AM
Mark Walker

Default Centos 5.0 package updater asking me to update more than I installed

Here's what I'm doing. In the gui environment, gnome, there's a box in
the upper right corner that reports about updates available every once
in a while. I click on it and I get something called "Package Updater"
that lists the packages that can be updated according to the server, I
believe yum, it's querying. I'm not sure exactly what the Application
name is, but that's what the title bar says. Sorry, I'm not an expert
on gnome, so I'm having trouble tracking down what the actual app is.
My guess is that it's Yumex or some close relative.

When I get the list of packages to be updated, there are things that I
don't recognize having installed. For instance a package called
"metacity," which apparently is a window manager. I understand there
could be dependencies that need to be installed, but that is usually
dealt with after yum downloads and queries the actual packages isn't it?

Is the main "Package Updater" designed to just give you the packages you
installed or does it give you everything that's available from the
server it's talking to?

Thanks.