Old 07-29-2008, 12:31 AM
MHR

Default Centos 5.0 package updater asking me to update more than I installed

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Mark Walker <furface@omnicode.com> wrote:
> Is this the standard behavior? Is there a way to only update the packages I
> installed without deselecting the ones I don't want?

That depends on what you are updating and what you want. Could you be
a little (no, a lot) more specific? What are you doing (exactly) and
what is not working the way you think it should?

mhr

Old 07-29-2008, 01:32 AM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 7:58 PM, Mark Walker <furface@omnicode.com> wrote:
> Here's what I'm doing. In the gui environment, gnome, there's a box in the
> upper right corner that reports about updates available every once in a
> while. I click on it and I get something called "Package Updater" that
> lists the packages that can be updated according to the server, I believe
> yum, it's querying. I'm not sure exactly what the Application name is, but
> that's what the title bar says. Sorry, I'm not an expert on gnome, so I'm
> having trouble tracking down what the actual app is. My guess is that it's
> Yumex or some close relative.
>
> When I get the list of packages to be updated, there are things that I don't
> recognize having installed. For instance a package called "metacity," which
> apparently is a window manager. I understand there could be dependencies
> that need to be installed, but that is usually dealt with after yum
> downloads and queries the actual packages isn't it?
>
> Is the main "Package Updater" designed to just give you the packages you
> installed or does it give you everything that's available from the server
> it's talking to?

I use that. It's called PUP and it is a front end to YUM. Today it had
one (1) update available for my CentOS 5.2 Desktop.
I use GNOME almost exclusively, but I also have KDE installed. I
believe it only offers you the updates that are available for stuff
you have installed on your box. There are many packages on your box
(and mine!) that we do not recognize, but, they are installed.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Mark Walker wrote on Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:58:37 -0700:

> When I get the list of packages to be updated, there are things that I
> don't recognize having installed.

Nevertheless, they probably *are* installed. There's a lot been installed
during setup and because of dependencies. rpm -q packagename tells you
more.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany