Old 07-28-2008, 11:35 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

Default CentOS 5.2 yum repos old rpm

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Justin <justin.bull@c3studios.ca> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> This is the first time I've ever used a mailing-list so bear with me :-)
>
> I've just got a new dedicated server from Hostik and they've installed
> CentOS 5.2 on the system (awesome!) and came pre-installed with PHP, MySQL,
> and Apache (among other things). I noticed that PHP version is 5.1.6, the
> MYSQL is 5.0.45, and Apache is 2.2.3
>
> I ran yum to update, thinking it would update them to 5.2.6,
> 5.0.51a-community, 2.2.9 respectively:
>
> # yum makecache
> # yum update
>
> Of course after some time, I realize that the CentOS 5 repos only have those
> versions as the latest rpms in the list.
>
> So my question is, how do I change my yum configuration to install the
> latest and greatest versions of rpms installed via yum?

Welcome to CentOS.

You might want to start by reading:

http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting/?sc_cid=3093

Akemi

Old 07-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Scott Silva

on 7-28-2008 4:16 PM Justin spake the following:

Hey everyone,

This is the first time I've ever used a mailing-list so bear with me :-)

I've just got a new dedicated server from Hostik and they've installed
CentOS 5.2 on the system (awesome!) and came pre-installed with PHP,
MySQL, and Apache (among other things). I noticed that PHP version is
5.1.6, the MYSQL is 5.0.45, and Apache is 2.2.3

I ran yum to update, thinking it would update them to 5.2.6,
5.0.51a-community, 2.2.9 respectively:

# yum makecache
# yum update

Of course after some time, I realize that the CentOS 5 repos only have
those versions as the latest rpms in the list.

So my question is, how do I change my yum configuration to install the
latest and greatest versions of rpms installed via yum?

Best Regards,

Justin Bull
http://www.c3studios.ca/pubkey.asc (PGP Public Key)
CentOS will never have the latest and greatest of anything. That is not how
Enterprise Linux distributions work. They are designed to be stable and
unchanging over their lifespan of half a decade or more.
If you want the latest and greatest, along with whatever new issues and
problems they might have, CentOS is not for you.

Now if you want somewhat newer, you can look at the CentOSplus repo.
It can have newer packages.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 07-29-2008, 01:20 AM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Justin <justin.bull@c3studios.ca> wrote:
> I've just got a new dedicated server from Hostik and they've installed
> CentOS 5.2 on the system (awesome!) and came pre-installed with PHP, MySQL,
> and Apache (among other things). I noticed that PHP version is 5.1.6, the
> MYSQL is 5.0.45, and Apache is 2.2.3

If you do some research, you will find that Hostik helped you, by
installing this great (IMHO) distribution on your server. What you
will get from CentOS, among other things, are: security, stability, a
very long life and super support from many of the highly experienced
people on this mailing list.

> So my question is, how do I change my yum configuration to install the
> latest and greatest versions of rpms installed via yum?

As Scott wrote, you will rarely get the latest and greatest versions
on this or any other Enterprise distro. And, you probably should not
have them, on a server.

Welcome to CentOS and to Enterprise Linux and good luck with your new
dedicated box. Do some reading, on the CentOS Wiki and
Download the Manuals from the CentOS web site and you can begin
learning how to secure your server.